Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Bad Motherboard?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Bad Motherboard?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 11-10-2010 01:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I have been having an odd problem off and on with my PC for a while. I have an aBit IP35 Pro with a Core 2 Quad and it gets moved around a bit between college and home and I have had to replace the RAM because it wouldn't boot and memtest gave me errors so I got new RAM. That was a year or so ago. I did all the standard things of changing slots, reseating, only using one stick etc but all signs pointed to RAM. At the beginning of this semester it did it again and seemed that pushing the RAM to one side seemed to correct it and Memtest and Prime95 don't get any errors. Doing the same with the old RAM that I kept seemed to be error free too. I also use high performance RAM and I originally have it set to the voltage and timings that are advertised but have backed both down to the automatic settings. The problem is a bump to the case and it might start acting up. Has anyone else had this problem and would it be a good idea to change motherboards or could it purely be finicky RAM?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 11-12-2010 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I move my computer a lot and my video card always gets loose but does not appear so.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 11-12-2010 09:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When it fails to boot does it beep at all or give you an error message?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 11-19-2010 05:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It has given me an error message before, it has that POST LED on it, I can't recall the exact error but it was a RAM error. How I discovered that the RAM being moved solved it was when I saw the error i wiggled the RAM a tiny bit and POST moved on and booted fully.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 12-06-2010 12:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I said fuck it and got an Asus P5N-D, got an nVIDIA nForce 750 chipset. I also decided to get an OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB SSD while I was at newegg, thing is so incredibly fast. After exams I will install the motherboard and upgrade to Windows 7, I was going to upgrade to 7 over summer but I couldn't find the MSDNAA site for my school to get it for free.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.