Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        weird zip/pk3 problem

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: weird zip/pk3 problem

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-17-2010 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been having this strange problem with zips lately, that actually messed up a "final" release of my last map, and I'm trying to work it out but the problem doesn't present in a way that makes much sense.

I'll go to make a pk3 file, so I set up my folders:

/maps
/scripts
/textures

into maps, there's a .bsp and .aas file, scripts holds the .shader and .arena file, and textures....you know

If I select all of these folders in OS X (10.6.5) and go to "compress 3 items" and it creates a zip archive, like it should.....so I rename it to "whatever.pk3" and put it in my baseq3 folder, quake 3 won't decompress it. It acts like the file isn't there.

What is even more strange is when I do the exact same thing on my windows machine, I build the zip archive, send it to my mac, rename it to "whatever.pk3" and it acts the same broken way...

BUT.....if I build the zip in windows, and rename it to "whatever.pk3" in windows, THEN put it on my mac, into my baseq3 folder, it works fine.

This leads me to think snowleopard is sneaking hidden text into the file names, also because when I copy the "good" windows pk3 into my baseq3 folder, it doesn't overwrite the bad os x one, I just end up with two "whatever.pk3" files (which shouldn't be possible) in the baseq3 folder, one them works, one of them doesn't

What the hell is snow leopard doing to my files?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-17-2010 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just kidding, I'm a moron.

Finder Preferences - > show file extensions (wasn't checked)
Finder Preferences - > ask before changing file extensions (was checked)

What's weird though..and I guess this counts as a bug kinda....Leopard would detect if you were trying to change the extension (I think..) which would trigger the "are you sure you wanna change this extension" dialogue, so that would avoid this confusion.

Snow Leopard just transparently accept ".pk3" as part of the file name, so when you hit enter, the file name just becomes "whatever.pk3.zip" no questions asked.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but if anyone else feels like OS X is eating their pk3 files, this might be why.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks .. glad your sorted.
Many have been victim to "hide extensions of known filetypes" with zip pk3 files

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.