Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Upgrading to Windows 7

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Upgrading to Windows 7

Say ello to my l'il frien'
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 05:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My pc is starting to show it's age, but it's time to upgrade the os ( win xp 64-bit is very software limited ).

couple questions

Will 2gb of ram suffice for the 64bit installation ( i know it's min, but i don't plan of gaming, just web, itunes, etc )

Does the 6800 series nvidia card meet wddm 1.0?

When i do decide to upgrade, how many re-installs do i get with different hardware configs?

Thanks chaps

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 09:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2GB will suffice as a minimum, but more would certainly be much appreciated.

I had to look up WDDM 1.0. It probably is, I have an older box with a 6800 Ultra running Windows 7 just fine.

Depends on the version. I believe for the retail version, it's one license for one computer at a time (meaning you can uninstall and reinstall as many times as you want but only on one computer at a time).

If it's the OEM version, you can just install it for ONE computer only. It's tied to the motherboard, so if you replace it, it'll bug you about it. You're free to upgrade hard drives, GPU, etc. Though if you do change the motherboard, you can usually phone Microsoft and tell them that your mobo fried and that you're replacing it, they'll normally reactivate it for you. They just don't want you installing on a completely different system. (What I'm hinting at is that you could be a little sneaky...)

Last edited by obsidian on 12-02-2010 10:51 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 09:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmm, Win7 64-bit rocks

what's your CPU ? go for 4ram, no gaming your 6800 should suffice but prolly turn/should off the Aero

what HD you have ? got sata they're fast

get a better video card

since you're doing an upgrade get DDR3/ or stick with the highest DDR2 memory (optional) if not gaming.

as for how many reinstalls i don't know, i'm only on my first Win7 Pro 64bit install and everything just flies on a 1.5TB SATA drive, and i still haven't done any defrag on it in close to a year.

post your full PC specs for better answers

PostPosted: 12-03-2010 09:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not upgrading my PC right now. But I want to upgrade the os. Xp64 is a pain. Basically I want to run win7 on my current setup. Then when I'm ready do a build and reinstall

PostPosted: 12-03-2010 01:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Took the dive. Installed with no problems. Runs quite snappy compaired to xp64 :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-03-2010 08:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Which version did you get?

PostPosted: 12-04-2010 08:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just windows home premium x64 OEM. Cheap. Plus I don't need the XP compatibility

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.