Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Personal FTP Recommendations?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Personal FTP Recommendations?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been using Fileshack's Mercury service for years now, but with my subscription recently expiring, I'm looking around for alternatives.
I'm after something that allows me access to my files anywhere and also allows me to link to my files for other users to access with the minimum of fuss.
I'm contemplating running an always-on PC at home as an FTP server, but I'd rather use an external service provider.
Any recommendations?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 03:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just buy a web host with ftp access.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 03:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i haven't used FTP since like 99

sry m8t

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 05:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, utilising a Plug computer, home FTP might be the answer; I may very well invest in a DreamPlug.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
Just buy a web host with ftp access.

:up: or depending on your needs, just use a service like Dropbox.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 05:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dropbox is nice but you are limited to 8gb of space after referrals with a free account.

if you want to do the home server thing and feel confident in a raid config, do some research into open-source nas solutions like freenas, openfiler, etc. i use openfiler myself on a multihomed box integrated with active directory for local samba shares, webdav over https over wan, and also run subsonic (http://subsonic.org) w/tomcat over https. you can also run ftp with OF. it's a little more involved to get setup securely but you don't want to be half-assed about opening yourself up to the internet from home these days.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 08:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also have a D-Link NAS that I use as an automated backup solution. It also has built-in FTP server though I haven't used it yet as I already have a web host and no static IP.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 02-11-2011 09:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recent linksys routers have the ability to provide very simplistic ftp services out of the box if you simply plug in a usb stick or drive in their usb port. The serverside setup leaves something to be desired though. Clientside it'd work like any other ftp-server.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.