Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        sli

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: sli

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-08-2011 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was at the computer store i go to (microcenter) today and i noticed that they had some bfg gtx 275 in stock.. now i know they dont make this series anymore, and im thinking of bridging my shit.. i know they gfx cards have to be the exact same to sli, but different brand names???

its the exact same one i have (evga gtx 275/896mb ddr3) but a different brand (bfg gtx 275/896mb ddr3)

does it matter that its a different brand name, or does it have to be exact to the T.

this is the one i have.... http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0309888
and this is the one i was looking at http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0309737

and a bit off topic.. and what i was a bit confused by... the freaking bfg gtx 275 is about 40$ more than the gts 450?? isnt the 450 better than the 275? why would it be more expensive?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 02-08-2011 09:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^Ghost wrote:

and a bit off topic.. and what i was a bit confused by... the freaking bfg gtx 275 is about 40$ more than the gts 450?? isnt the 450 better than the 275? why would it be more expensive?

From what I can gather, the GTX 275 outperforms the GTS 450 fairly well. The 450 is a lower budget card. The 275 simply has more horsepower, but it's DX10 whereas the 450 is DX11.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-08-2011 10:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GTS are the budget line.

Cards of different brands are usually fine as long as they are based on the same reference designs. I think they also have to be the same clock speeds, though you can probably down-clock one of them to match the other. Make sure your PSU is beefy enough to run both cards.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-08-2011 11:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The 2xx series of cards are all really tolerant of this - You can SLi cards from different manufacturers, with different bios revisions, even based on different clocks and different manufacturing processes.

I just strapped a pair of 260s together from different manufacturers and produced more than a year apart, at different clocks. Biggest headache was getting enough 6-pin power connections into both cards.

After that I discovered that the fans on both cards were quite different - The standard 40% idle speed on one card was 1500rpm and quiet, but the 40% idle on the othre was 2500rpm and loud as hell. Used RivaTuner to dial the speed back on the loud card.

You can also use GPU-z to get a bucked of info about the cards once they're in your system, and you can stress-test the whole lot with BarsWF.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-09-2011 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was reading something online about getting a co-op gfx card that can support different brand names, thats why i was asking, my currently evga gtx 275 is not co-op, does it matter? or if i ever decided to sli would i have to get a co-op gtx 275?

and thanks for the input on the gts 450

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-09-2011 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They'll work fine together, just make sure the faster card is on your primary PCI-E slot.

The 275GTX is a kick-ass card, it'll run Crysis at 1680x1080 on max settings without a hitch. I still have mine sitting around, should probably sell it or something.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-09-2011 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
The 275GTX is a kick-ass card, it'll run Crysis at 1680x1080 on max settings without a hitch. I still have mine sitting around, should probably sell it or something.

yeah thats how i blew my first power supply lol.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.