Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Win7 on SSD - black screen with cursor after installation

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Win7 on SSD - black screen with cursor after installation

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-30-2011 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just picked up an OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD drive. AHCI is set in BIOS. BIOS recognizes the disc, so does Ubuntu Live CD. Booting up on a secondary drive with Windows installed and it recognizes it too (can save files to SSD).

I can install Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on it fine, it copies all the installation files but after a reboot (when it's supposed to ask for my user name and system settings) all I get is a black screen with a cursor that I can wave around. Nothing else loads.

I can get back into the Win7 installer and I tried doing a startup repair but that doesn't seem to help anything. Tried reinstalling multiple times. I've used this disc before and it's a retail copy. Motherboard is an Asus P6T Deluxe.

Any ideas?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-30-2011 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nevermind... after an entire day of testing and searching through forums, it looks like Windows 7 freaks out if I have dual screens attached during installation. Fucking chill, Microsoft, it's just a monitor.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-30-2011 07:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah I had this with a dual screen install. One of the windows patches fixes it, but this isn't much use since you're installing from the original DVD. Fastest solution is to hook the second screen up later on, as you found.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.