Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Optimizing windows 7

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Optimizing windows 7

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-16-2011 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Right, new system will be delivered this week (I hope).
Comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
This is the first time I will work with this OS.

In anticipation I'm reading up on how to run win7 as efficiently as possible.
I want the OS to run as sleek and fast as possible and stripped of unnecessary bullshit.
I googled the obvious, like turning off visual effects etc.

Any advice from win7 users here on configuring very much appreciated.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-16-2011 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On a modern day system with lots of RAM, there really isn't anything that needs to be done. I leave visual effects on, my system is pretty much default. The only thing I have done is move my "users" directory to another drive and created a symlink to it.

I have older systems (AMD 3500+) running Windows 7 and even it seems to do fine.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-16-2011 06:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, I hope you're right about win7 making a relatively small demand on recources, at least that's how I interpret your post.
Guess I'll just let shit run on default for now, then.
Thanks.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-16-2011 08:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only suggestions I've seen are if you run an SSD and I think those are mainly to increase the life of the drive.

If you're going to be streaming any media off it, try using the built in stuff first that way there is no extra bloat needed. Sometimes I need to re-encode a file but I haven't had any trouble with PS3 or 360 over the last year. Just make sure you disable its ability to power down your NIC to save power.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-18-2011 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
The only suggestions I've seen are if you run an SSD and I think those are mainly to increase the life of the drive.

Yeah, comes with a 128GB SSD with win7 installed on it.

I found this tom's hardware thread, and followed instructions, especially RetiredChief's pointers about disabling indexing, defragging and write caching.
(defrag was actually still enabled, which apparently seems to be a major nono and wreak havoc on SSDs?)
If you have more suggestions, do tell :)

What to install on the SSD?
I'm thinking just system specific apps, and throw all games, media etc. on the HDD.
It's nice to have short loading times in games when they're stored on the SSD, but if that means shortening the drive's lifespan, I'd rather wait a few seconds more.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-18-2011 04:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:

This is the best approach with any new software :up:

Tweak only for specific purposes.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-18-2011 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reading data doesn't shorten the lifespan of an SSD, only writing. They also support so many write cycles that by the time it actually wears anything out from writing you'll probably have long replaced it with something much larger, faster and cheaper. You'll want to limit needless excessive writing to the drive, but I wouldn't stress over it.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-19-2011 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Reading data doesn't shorten the lifespan of an SSD, only writing. They also support so many write cycles that by the time it actually wears anything out from writing you'll probably have long replaced it with something much larger, faster and cheaper. You'll want to limit needless excessive writing to the drive, but I wouldn't stress over it.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. It will probably outlive this sytem.
It's just my usual anal tippy toeing around a new system trying to keep it as pristine as possible.

And no doubt SSD storage will replace HDD storage in the near future.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 06:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Plan B wrote:

This is the best approach with any new software :up:

Tweak only for specific purposes.

go with this

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-10-2011 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM, this thread is semi-old, it was bumped by the spambot... which I even reported as spam. Don't reply to it, just split the spam post from the topic and move to A&M. It's a good thing we ain't paying you for this.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.