Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        windows embeded ce 6.0 doesn't come with email client?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: windows embeded ce 6.0 doesn't come with email client?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-18-2011 04:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

first off, holy shit! this thing is a piece of shit. My dad got one for free, and I am completely amazed as how worthless this thing looks at first glance.... andsecond glance... and third. lol
Anyway, I can't seem to find an email client in this installation. Does anyone know where it might be or where I can download one?

Also, can this thing handle a true installation of microsoft works? all it has now is the "reader" counterpart.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-18-2011 06:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Windows CE embedded is a stripped-down core of an OS with absolutely nothing user-centric installed as part of it. That's what it's supposed to be.

It's designed to allow vendors to build up their own offering on top of it.

You really shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't have an email client. lol.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-18-2011 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

k so is there a microsoft email client out there for it? can I simply install any windows compatible program? it has like 128 mb ram

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-18-2011 08:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most regular Windows software depends on various libraries/dlls/APIs that just aren't there in WinCE.

First off, which version of WinCE? Second, does it have a functioning network connection and browser?

There might be a mail client available, depending on version.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-18-2011 09:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

version 6.00 build 3122.

yeah it has a wireless access card and I can browse the net.

but the old man will want a local email client... so going online for his emails is like plan B

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-18-2011 10:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah you're gonna have to operate via the browser or not at all.

Gotta understand - These devices are worth like $50. Unless you want to get hacky with them, don't be surprised that they have no flexibility ;D

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-19-2011 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bah. the funny thing is , he has an EVO 4G, which puts this thing to shame in every aspect (except the fact that there is no proper keyboard and the screen is considerably smaller). But I think he'll never get used to using his phone in any productive manner. His lack of knowledge and nearly stuborn inability to learn is frustrating.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.