Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        cannot start game period

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: cannot start game period

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-08-2011 10:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi there, I have recently found my old copy of Q3 in the attic and want to start playing/mapping. Im running windows XP sp3 and I cannot get either the game or editor to start up. when I click the exe the screen goes gray and a box says quake 3 has encountered a problem and it closes. I have been scouring google for possible solutions and every one I have tried doesn't work.

What I have tried:

reinstall 3+ times
ran as admin
ran in 256 color mode
installed 1.32 patch
ran in every compatibility mode
reinstalled again

help plz!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-08-2011 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saltpillar wrote:
Hi there, I have recently found my old copy of Q3 in the attic

Suspicious.

Care to give any other hints as to what the error says, perhaps a screendump of the error or something? Is it an error the game gives or is it Windows itself giving you shit? Dumb question, but you do have an OpenGL compatible video card right?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-08-2011 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I built this desktop in 02 so its pretty old, I run an ati radeon 9500 pro with most recent drivers.

windows error
"quake3.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I get the same exact thing with gtk radiant 1.50

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-08-2011 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Without more info all I can say is that perhaps your CD is corrupt. Do you see a window with a blue screen and white, scrolling text before the error appears or does it bomb out before anything even appears?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-08-2011 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its right after the mini blue screen. Ive been trying to maximize it so i can read where its stalling but it closes too fast.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-08-2011 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well if this and GTK are both bombing out, I'm betting your GL drivers are fucked somehow. IIRC, ATI had some shitty OpenGL drivers back in the day and I think there is a lot of compatibility code built into Quake 3 to work around their shitty implementation of OpenGL. Get a new video card or something?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-08-2011 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah well, thx for the help.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 07-13-2011 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

didn't the CD come with "glsetup.exe"? i had to install that before playing on the computers i had back then, some 32mb ati card and a 16mb diamond card

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-13-2011 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what's your vid card ?

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 07-16-2011 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bacon wrote:
didn't the CD come with "glsetup.exe"? i had to install that before playing on the computers i had back then, some 32mb ati card and a 16mb diamond card

This schtuff works with onboard.!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-17-2011 10:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as far as the glsetup.exe is concerned, it says that its only compatible with win 95 and 98. There is a registration for updates option, but the website {www.glsetup.com} seems to no longer exist or its down temporarily.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-21-2011 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So since the glsetup website is no more I have been googling around and found that there was a glsetup that was compatible with win xp. I think it was on http://www.glsetup.com/otheros would anyone happen to have a link to this file on another website. I found one website that claimed to have it for download, but it turned out to be a trojan.
Thanks again.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-21-2011 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

try here

GLSetup

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-22-2011 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
try here

GLSetup

That's the one that comes with the disk :\

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-22-2011 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as i said above, what vid card do you have ?

in my experience, i've never had to install GL

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-25-2011 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its an ati radeon 9500 pro, most up to date drivers.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.