Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Windows XP SP3 Software list : can't uninstally any software

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Windows XP SP3 Software list : can't uninstally any software

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 07-22-2011 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I just wanted to uninstall a program and noticed that's there are tons of new Adobe applications I've never seen before as well as some other applications I don't know. Only a handful of programs have the uninstall button, but most of the applications can't be uninstalled because the button is simply missing. Here's a screenshot:

Spybot - Search & Destroy and Avira Antivir didn't find anything. I'm logged in as administrator.

Any ideas?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-22-2011 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

try start menu, all programs, and name of said program.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-22-2011 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those are C++ Redistributable packs, they are from Microsoft and some applications may require them. There's an option somewhere in Windows to hide updates from showing up in the programs list.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 07-23-2011 12:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ SoM: I don't have start menu folders for all installed programs, because I don't really use the start menu for starting programs at all

@ Obsidian: I know, but I care less about those C++ packs than the missing uninstall button (and the dozens of new Adobe products). And I just got aware of missing programs that should be in the software list. I guess I'll have to format C :miffed:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-23-2011 08:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try restarting in safe mode and see if anything shows up there. If you see all the uninstall buttons and other programs, then something else is definitely changing things on your system.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 07-23-2011 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The button still does not exist in safe mode. I looked up HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Uninstall and there are only around four entries. So whatever wrecked my software list, it ate a part of my registry.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-23-2011 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-23-2011 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-23-2011 11:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jv16powertoolz or Iobits Advanced Windows Care. http://www.iobit.com
They do amazing things for this purpose

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-26-2011 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

don't worry about those C++ programs, i have 10 installed

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 07-28-2011 12:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've formatted C:\ and reinstalled Windows, everything's alright now.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 07-28-2011 11:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously?! Degaussing didn't work?!!!!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.