Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Armor Question

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Armor Question

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 02:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello, once again

I think I finally resolved my network issues, so thanks for all your help, guys.

Next, I was wondering if there was a way to remove or disable the use of armor in the game?

Having used the code featured on this website to create a server, do any lines of code exist that would enable me to remove the armor, or make it's value zero, for example? Or, is there any other way of just getting rid of it?

Thanks again.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 05:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should consider user OSP
http://www.orangesmoothie.org/download.html

It is a server side app that allows multitudes of game types and gameplay options.
You can disable whatever item you desire, starting player health and gun .. so so much more

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you for the information.

If I were to install a modification on my computer for Quake 3, I take it everyone who I played in multiplayer would also have to install that modification in order for us all to enjoy the benefit?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 06:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yup

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking back when i ran an osp server I should have disabled the feking Gauntlet.
:(

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:) :D :p

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, it may not be an option for me to get the program installed on my opponent's computer.

See, the thing is, I play against my friend, and she always goes for the armor. She kills me, then goes off and gets it again. Ok, sure, it's not like she's doing anything illegal, and sure, I could do the same, but to me, it just sorta defeats the gamesmanship of it all. By using armor, you might as well just handicap one of the players. Alright, as well, I guess if I was THAT good, she could have as much armor as she wanted, and I'd still kill her, but I'm not that good.

Therefore, is there no other way to disable the armor somehow? Possibly in the server, which I can alter, and won't have to worry about changing or installing anything on her computer?

Thanks.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

play Clan Arena in the OSP mod, there's no armor/weps to be picked up.

here's a link to custom server settings

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-20-2011 02:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I appreciate all your suggestions, guys, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, or come across as a pain in the ass, but is there not simply a line of code I could enter into my server CFG file that could remove the armor, or make its value zero or something? Using different versions of Quake 3 or modified adds is not really an option at the minute.

You know how the time limit, frag limit, weapon respawn etc. time can be altered in this way, can the armor not also be changed in this manner or not?

Thanks again.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-20-2011 07:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you cannot.
its a core, fundamental rule of the game and the only way to change fundamental rules is by loading a mod.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-20-2011 04:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually you can, by setting disable_item_armor_body and disable_item_armor_combat to 1.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-22-2011 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
Actually you can, by setting disable_item_armor_body and disable_item_armor_combat to 1.

Uh, aren't those OSP commands?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-22-2011 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

JPBrenner wrote:
See, the thing is, I play against my friend, and she always goes for the armor. She kills me, then goes off and gets it again. Ok, sure, it's not like she's doing anything illegal, and sure, I could do the same, but to me, it just sorta defeats the gamesmanship of it all. By using armor, you might as well just handicap one of the players. Alright, as well, I guess if I was THAT good, she could have as much armor as she wanted, and I'd still kill her, but I'm not that good.

Uh dude, just learn to play the game ok?
Controlling items is a fundamental part of the game. The armors respawn every 25 seconds so grab it and make sure you're back there 25 seconds later so you can pick it up again (typing \cg_drawtimer 1 in the console might help you there). Learn about such strategies and try to execute them yourself. That's what Quake 3 is about.

If you're playing 1v1 against your friend you could always ask her to set a handicap for her so it evens out the playing field a bit (it's an option in the player setup menu. It limits the amount of health/armor the player can have). Complaining about losing because someone else is better isn't going to make the game any more fun, nor will modifying the game so you have a chance isn't fun either, because your victory will feel hollow (you skewed the game's rules in your favor). Your friend will complain endlessly about there not being any armor and how that's not how the game is supposed to be played. In short: removing the armor won't solve anything and it will only make the game less fun for both of you.

Instead, practice and learn. That is the only true solution for your problem. And for what it's worth, playing against someone that is better will give you the opportunity to analyze their play and figure out what you're doing wrong. It will only make you a better playing. You won't get any better my changing the game's rules so you can stay inside your comfort zone.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-22-2011 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
^misantropia^ wrote:

Uh, aren't those OSP commands?

No, they're in (at least) 1.32. They're cvars btw, not commands. Check G_ItemDisabled() in g_items.c.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-22-2011 06:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sweet. I didn't know this.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-22-2011 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:

your larfing , I was crying you sumbitch

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-14-2011 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
SoM wrote:

your larfing , I was crying you sumbitch

i'll give you a man hug when you come back, and beat your arse at pool :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.