Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Completely broken Java JVM

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Completely broken Java JVM

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-19-2011 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Back in the UK for a few weeks and using my dad's PC, but as with all family PCs it's horribly broken and I had to remove toolbars etc.

One thing I can't seem to fix is Java. Upgrading or uninstalling produces the following error:

I've attempted to remove it manually and by using JavaRA, but it's still showing in add/remove programs and still not functional in any way. I've also tried installing the 64-bit version but I think the broken one is interfering with that in some way.

Any ideas? The program files folders for java are totally gone, and most of the reg entries are too, but they still show in add/remove programs.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 10-19-2011 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2753 is the MSI error code for a missing file. The MSI is probably trying to run something in regutils.dll and failing because the file's not there.

You could try finding the appropriate entry (look at the DisplayName to figure out which program's which) in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall", backing it up to a .reg file and then deleting it - then see what happens when you try and install the latest version.

It might be worth having a google before doing that - if you back up the registry then there shouldn't be any gotcha's, but there might be another key that i'm forgetting to mention (maybe the upgrade code needed deleting as well, i can't remember).

edit, looks like it is just the one key:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310750

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-19-2011 07:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ta Guv,

After a load of messing around I dug up a retired MS MSI Cleanup utility (msicuu2.exe) and forced the removal of the add/remove programs entries for java.

After doing that I could install a fresh 64-bit JVM, and it appears to be working as expected.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-25-2011 03:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it necessary to keep old Java updates for Java to work properly? My computer is full of information and extremely slow. While looking for old files to delete, I came across some old Java updates that were taking up 400 MB of space. Is it necessary to keep all of them or just the newest one for Java to work?

Last edited by chorinne on 08-07-2012 01:43 AM, edited 2 times in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-25-2011 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just the newest one. You should uninstall all of them and then do a fresh install of the latest one.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 10-25-2011 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just did the latest update and no problems,

tell your dad to not visit pr0n sites

get rid of the spyware

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.