Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Gaming sound card question (hardware processing)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Gaming sound card question (hardware processing)

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-29-2011 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello,

I have an X-Fi Titanium HD. My question is the following. If I'm playing a game and my sound card is using hardware processing (EAX or other), can I output this via optical (Toslink) S/PDIF to an external DAC (such as a Schiit Bifrost) and have it do the D/A conversion?

Thanks!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-29-2011 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That hardware processing is nothing to do with DAC is it? So why wouldn't that work? I don't know why you want to use a seperate DAC than whatever the card has built in, though. Your sound system a long way from your PC?

An advantage of using optical out would be that you could have surround sound through it with only one cable.

Why don't you just use an amplifier that has optical in? Seperate DACs seem a folly to me.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-29-2011 11:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes Toxic, you can. My knowledge of DACs is a bit limited but:

The X-Fi uses a Burr-Brown PCM 1794A DAC, and the Schiit Bifrost uses AKM4399 (out of the box). Compare those 2 DACs and decide which one you prefer, I guess.

The x-fi is shielded but an external DAC's likely to suffer less interference than any internal card.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-29-2011 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo, the DAC's performance isn't just related to the D/A chip. It's also heavily influenced by the analog output stage.

Why would I want a separate DAC? Because it will probably sound better than my X-Fi, and it also might have less noise. It also gives me more flexibility than an amp/DAC combo. This is for headphones BTW, if I had a surround sound system then it might have been a different story.

Thanks guys!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-30-2011 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn, now you've got me wondering if I should use a separate DAC to connect my PC to my hi-fi.

I mainly play MP3s, Quake3 and emulators on my PC. Occasionally a DVD, but I don't have many DVDs and might not get many more cause they've been superceded by BDs, and I don't want to have to re-buy loads of films later when I switch to BD. (PAL (my region) DVDs upscaled to 1080p won't look much good cause they are 576p, compared to NTSC (America, Japan) DVDs which are 540p which doubles nicely to 1080p. Yeah, PAL regions got a raw deal with the HD standard.)
Would a seperate DAC make that much difference for me? (My hi-fi is stereo, btw.)

The highest sound quality things I play on my PC are DVDs, right? Q3 isn't that high sound quality, and some DVDs have more channels, fed into stereo the quality is still there. Would I get a massive increase in sound quality that would make it worth it for DVDs sounding better? How much can Q3 sound be improved? I think the main problem with my PC sound is the fan is noisy, a seperate DAC might increase the quality somewhat, but that fan would still be making noise spoling it.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-30-2011 04:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Damn, now you've got me wondering if I should use a separate DAC to connect my PC to my hi-fi.

I mainly play MP3s, Quake3 and emulators on my PC. Occasionally a DVD, but I don't have many DVDs and might not get many more cause they've been superceded by BDs, and I don't want to have to re-buy loads of films later when I switch to BD. (PAL (my region) DVDs upscaled to 1080p won't look much good cause they are 576p, compared to NTSC (America, Japan) DVDs which are 540p which doubles nicely to 1080p. Yeah, PAL regions got a raw deal with the HD standard.)
Would a seperate DAC make that much difference for me? (My hi-fi is stereo, btw.)

The highest sound quality things I play on my PC are DVDs, right? Q3 isn't that high sound quality, and some DVDs have more channels, fed into stereo the quality is still there. Would I get a massive increase in sound quality that would make it worth it for DVDs sounding better? How much can Q3 sound be improved? I think the main problem with my PC sound is the fan is noisy, a seperate DAC might increase the quality somewhat, but that fan would still be making noise spoling it.

Your DAC will make most of your files sound better. I mostly listen to 320kbps MP3 or FLAC and IMO these formats show the difference between DACs quite well, especially FLAC. I think sounds in Quake 3 might be 128 kbps, so even with a nice DAC they'll sound Lo-Fi. It will definitely have a different sound signature though.

Are you using on-board audio right now? If yes, then I think that you'll notice improvement with any $80+ internal sound card.

If you already have an internal sound card, the question is: how good is your stereo? Do you think it resolves enough so that you can hear the difference between your sound card and a decent external DAC?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-31-2011 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I looked at 2 Q3A sound files and they are
Wave, PCM, 16 bit, 22050 Hz, 352 kps, mono.
Who knows how many such files would be playing at once in a game, though?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.