Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Time for a new rig

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Time for a new rig

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 11-23-2011 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

have never had any problems with aria.co.uk - but in case they've gone downhill, should say that i haven't bought a new machine for nearly 2 years.

that PSU thing is probably true, even if you don't need that much in regular usage - a crappily written game (e.g. dead island) will batter your system.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-23-2011 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can you buy a computer from that company without Swiss cheese and disco lighting?

Get a PSU from a decent manufacturer, but don't just look at wattage ratings, they mean little more than a ballpark figure and many companies claim much higher figures than what they can actually pump out. The recommended wattages from Intel/nVidia/AMD usually come with a huge buffer for safety. My space heater of a computer is running off of a Corsair 620W. TL;DR, I'd rather get a 600W PSU from a well known manufacturer than a 800W no name brand.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-23-2011 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and for future reference get a PSU that's at least 50+ AMPS on the 12V rail if ur gonna upgrade your GPU

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been using the same PSU for over two years now, it's solid :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.