Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Video Streaming Suddenly Lags Hard

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Video Streaming Suddenly Lags Hard

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 11:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used to be able to use sites with video streaming like TinyChat with no issues. Video streaming was smooth and there was no loss in audio.

Suddenly, when I go to the same site, the streams look super pixelated, and are choppy. Audio cuts out making people sound like they're speaking in pig latin.

Skype also lags up with video chat whereas it hadn't before.

The only change I've done is replaced my motherboard and processor.

I've reinstalled Windows 7 x64 (not because of this issue, just wanted a clean slate to work with), and tried using Firefox whatever-version-it-is-now and the latest of Chrome. Both show the same lagging behavior.

I connect to the internet through a wireless usb adapter and haven't had the opportunity to test the video streams by directly connecting to my router. My guess is that there's something funky with the usb ports on my motherboard.....

My wacom tablet had been acting funny, my usb webcam no longer picks up any video (it picks up one frame a minute or so), and the internet suddenly sucks (made a thread about that a little while ago where my wireless connection had spikes which I never got resolved).

I installed new usb drivers for the motherboard and all that.

Any ideas on what's going on here? What and how can I test for issues with the motherboard if there are any? It's really been getting on my nerves. Thanks.

(Doing anything on any other computer on the network works fine. It's just this computer.)

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-23-2012 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what mobo brand/type/model ? got the latest driver for mobo? NOT usb..

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-23-2012 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check device manager, make sure all devices are working. If you see a yellow exclamation mark, you're probably missing a driver.

Check BIOS, you might have an option for high-speed USB that might be turned off.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-24-2012 05:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's an MSI P67A-GD65. I installed every driver they had available (there's no single "motherboard" driver. It's fragmented across USB Controller, Processor, and some random third party stuff)

I tried messing with the BIOS settings and there wasn't much change. The motherboard has USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 support. I turned 3.0 support on/off, enabled/disabled legacy support, etc...

No yellow exclamation marks in the device manager.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-25-2012 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

do you have the newest version of BIOS?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-25-2012 01:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turns out it may have been a failing router.

Wireless connection spikes are now gone after replacing the router last night with a new one.

Video lag is gone.

All is well.

Still, my wacom tablet freaks out and I have to reinstall the drivers every now and then to get it to work properly.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-25-2012 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glad you got it sorted,

no idea about the wacom since i've never used one

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-25-2012 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Which Wacom and which drivers? And what do you mean "freaks out"?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-25-2012 03:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It varies, Mazda.

Sometimes it just stops responding altogether. Other times it's like key bindings get swapped up and pressing the pen to the tablet registers as a "right click" or a shift-click.

Sometimes it locks up and acts as if im holding down a button whenever I attempt to draw even after computer restarts and plugging/unplugging the tablet.

The few times this has happened a reinstall of the tablet drivers has solved the issue for about a month and then it starts acting up again.

It's a Bamboo Pen & Touch. I dunno about the drivers. Whichever is the latest set for the model. I just go to the wacom site and get the newest drivers.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.