Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Finally Back in the game, built a new pc today

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Finally Back in the game, built a new pc today

Say ello to my l'il frien'
PostPosted: 04-19-2012 05:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FYI

case-Antec Eleven Hundred
mobo-Asus Rampage IV Gene w/ DDR3 1866
cpu-Intel Core™ i7-3820 Processor, 3.60GHz w/ 10MB Cache
cpu cooler-cooler master hyper 212
memory- GSKILL RipjawsZ Series PC3-12800 DDR3 16GB Kit (4 x 4GB)
vid card -MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II OC Geforce GTX 580 1536MB PCI-E
HDD1-Corsair Force Series GT SATA III Solid State Drive, 240GB <---Win7
HDD2-Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
Power supply-Corsair enthusiast 850W
Samsung 24" lcd

Also rocking all razer gear, mamba wireless/wired mouse, Anansi keyboard and vespula mouse pad

Windows Score-7.9

Pics? Okay, but only have shitty cell pics

Now reccomend me some games for this beast!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-19-2012 07:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sweeeeeettt!... though Ivy Bridge i7 CPUs are supposed to be right around the corner.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-21-2012 05:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wiring is so messy! Flip that powersupply!!!

PostPosted: 04-22-2012 02:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

powersupply flipped, cables clean up a bit.

memoryexpress had a 72 hour sale, so I bought 4 120mm fans, 2 front, 2 side ( blowing onto video card, and something else was on sale also.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 04-22-2012 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice, another 580 :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-22-2012 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, 580 is a nice card, except I had to RMA it after a month because it wouldn't boot anymore. I prefer the Zalman VF3000F cooler even though it takes up an extra slot.

PostPosted: 04-22-2012 08:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was looking at the zalman cnps12x triple fan, but it ate a memory slot, a no-no when i wanted to run quad channel, i'm quite impressed with the hyper 212 tho.

did a quick benchmark, not too shabby

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-23-2012 09:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scarface wrote:

You're supposed to feed the cables behind the motherboard tray via those black rubber doodads.

PostPosted: 04-23-2012 10:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, the cables that are long enough to be routed behind the mobo are, so it looks like cables are hindering flow, but they are actually tywrapped to the near post. Perfect flow, low cpu, mobo, gpu temps. not spending anymore time on it

Last edited by Scarface on 04-23-2012 10:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04-23-2012 10:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as you can see, they are pulled out of the way of flow.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-29-2012 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fucking Gigabyte, my motherboard died a couple days ago. Waiting for NCIX to bring in an ASUS Sabertooth from their warehouse >:(

PostPosted: 04-30-2012 02:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shitty. Upgrade time is always fun tho :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 02:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really, it's still an X58 board because there's no reason for me to ditch my i7 930. I'm just worried that doing a motherboard swap will force me to do a clean install of Windows which I am completely unwilling to do at this point. I don't remember if it was on XP or Vista, but I once did a mobo swap with a repair install and got BSODs until I reformatted.

Thankfully I have a good enough laptop to do my projects on for the time being.

Actually thinking back, I've had some shitty luck with my past couple motherboards. My LGA 775 board from 5 years ago was a BFG nForce 680i LT. It was an unstable piece of shit and I couldn't get support for it because BFG went tits up right after I bought it.

(oh and sorry for hijacking your thread, derp)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 06:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
I'm just worried that doing a motherboard swap will force me to do a clean install of Windows which I am completely unwilling to do at this point.

It's possible to do a different motherboard model swap and still keep your existing Windows install, but it's more than likely to give you more problems than it's worth. Before doing anything I would backup your data first. You'll probably need to manually install the new mobo SATA controller drivers while doing a repair install of Windows. Assuming it works, you may also find that you have a bunch of driver and performance issues that need sorting.

It'll be a lot of work either way, so I would prefer a fresh install just for the piece of mind that everything is working 100%.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Before doing anything I would backup your data first. You'll probably need to manually install the new mobo SATA controller drivers while doing a repair install of Windows.

I can't, I need the new motherboard just to boot into Windows lol

I think I'll be forced to do a clean install, as per my usual luck. I'm just hoping the motherboard really is the culprit.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I mean for you to plug the HDD into another computer/USB enclosure/dock/etc. and extract the data.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-01-2012 07:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like my second 580 is fried. With the new motherboard, the system actually boots up but there is still no display. HDDs are active and you can hear Windows start up. Powered down and put my old 275 back in and everything's fine. Sending out this piece of shit for RMA again tomorrow. I'll sell the replacement and buy another card, I'm done with EVGA's 580 :down:

On the plus side, new motherboard seems to be working great and Windows managed to boot successfully and installed the proper drivers. Hopefully I won't see any BSODs or performance issues. Wish I had bought this board from the start.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-19-2012 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At times all you need to do is pour water all over it.

I'll just leave this here :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-19-2012 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk lives in a log cabin (with a cool watercooled supercomputer).

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-20-2012 06:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rofl, vintage 70's house "finished" basement.

But yeah, Log cabin. :D

I need to get past the Wall I've hit with the 2700K, its stuck at 5.1Ghz... anyone got tips?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.