Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        GeForce 301.42 WHQL drivers

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GeForce 301.42 WHQL drivers

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-22-2012 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-22-2012 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Nvidia quotes gains of up to 21% in Skyrim and 4-23% in other titles for GTX 500-series GPUs, depending on the configuration

Didn't they say the exact same thing for their 295.73 drivers? The drivers that sucked and forced me to roll back?

But hey...go ahead and be a guinea pig...I'll come back to this thread in a month to reinforce my opinion that the latest drivers aren't always worth the upgrade.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 07:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Didn't they say the exact same thing for their 295.73 drivers? The drivers that sucked

I didn't have any problems with those drivers, and rolling back takes what? 5 minutes? But you are correct, the latest ain't always the greatest.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually the older drivers were giving me a hard time when I first installed them. Then I installed the 295.73 drivers, found out they were shit and rolled back. It was only AFTER the rollback that the drivers actually functioned correctly. I've seen it happen 3 times now...the pattern is quite obvious.

I'm seriously considering doing that with all bad video drivers from now on:

- wait for the newest drivers
- install them
- rollback to older drivers for stabilizing goodness

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No problems running these drivers with my GTX 580. In fact I haven't had any issues since 290. GFY, what do you mean by "they were shit"?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Easy:

"They were shit."

At least on my machine.

- VLC would give renderer errors and crash after a few minutes
- I couldn't spend more than 2 minutes watching YouTube or any other videos that were "embedded" into a page before it crashed my browser and fucked the driver up so bad that quitting and relaunching Firefox would no longer fix the problem....I had to restart my computer to get it to work properly again.
- I'd have entire webpages - which worked fine 30 seconds ago - go all apeshit and crash nearly every plugin in my browser. Why? Who knows? My guess is because somewhere on the page there was a Flash plugin running...probably in an advert.
- Games had shit framerates and huge, ugly artifacts being generated in games that ran like butter previously. And this happened in several of my games, new and old, DirectX and OpenGL, blah blah blah.

I honestly could continue to list things, but you get the point. It was if someone literally dumped their coffee directly onto my video card.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.