Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Here for some abuse... Heat sink question.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Here for some abuse... Heat sink question.

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 06-01-2012 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I recently built a new rig and purchased the AMD FX-8150 (no comments from the Intel-penis gallery, please) and having not had any problems with prior AMD CPU heat sinks & fans, I opted to not buy one and stick with the stock issued one. Big mistake, this thing is fucking LOUD. When I'm doing anything that puts a little load on the system, it sounds like a jet engine. Or sometimes it's quiet as a mouse, like now. Anywho, I decided to replace it for this reason, and I also I feel like it's running a little hot in my computer room.

Options:

212 EVO. I saw this one mentioned on a few different forums.

Arctic Cooling. Not familiar with the company, but this seems to be pretty quiet. Not too many purchases/reviews on Newegg for any of their heat sinks.

-Or-

Corsair H70 OR Corsair H80. Something about water cooling freaks me out... it's the 'I dont want to ruin my computer because the fucking water leaked on everything' part of me.

Thoughts? Besides the fact that I should shut up, obviously.

Say ello to my l'il frien'
Say ello to my l'il frien'
PostPosted: 06-01-2012 01:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have the 212 evo on my i7 3820, stays nice and cool. Just be sure it doesn't block your ram slots, it's large

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-01-2012 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Corsair units are self contained units, so it's not like old-school water cooling units where you have to install tubes, pumps, fill with liquid, etc. It's quite easy to install and no mess. Just clamp it down on your CPU like any other heat sink and attach the radiator where your exhaust fan would normally be.

My brother has one installed, pretty simple and doesn't take up a lot of space inside the case, no need to worry about clearance or blocking slots. Works well and is quiet.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.