Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Subtitles problem in VLC

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Subtitles problem in VLC

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Subtitles problem in VLC

I downloaded a video that's supposed to have subtitles in English, but the subtitles show up in VLC as all wrong characters. I tried changing the default encoding for subtitles in the settings, but that just changed the subtitles to square characters (those are missing characters).

Anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

This is in Windows 7 (Home Edition).

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try downloading another subtitles file and select that one.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-19-2012 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-21-2012 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used another subtitle track that I downloaded and at first it worked fine, until about 10-15 mins in it went massively out of synch. There's an option in VLC to adjust the subtitle timing/delay but I don't want to have to mess about with that 10-15 mins into a video. It's at times like that when I hate computers!

Will installing that codec pack make any difference to this? I mean, can it be a codec issue, considering the replacement subtitle worked - at first.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-21-2012 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VLC doesn't need to use any specific codecs when playing media, so I doubt installing any will fix your issue.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-22-2012 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

those subtitles were simply bad, or perhaps made for a slightly different version of the video.
the risks of homebrew documents I suppose. find a different srt

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.