Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Windows 7 de-selected updates repetitive

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Windows 7 de-selected updates repetitive

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 03:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Windows 7 de-selected updates repetitive

In Windows 7, when I de-selected an update that was available, it used to ask whether I wanted to be notified about this update again, so I could choose "No" and it would no longer bother me with that. Now it's stopped giving me that option, so it keeps saying "New updates available" when it's the same updates I already told it that I don't want. Is there any way to fix this? Has something gone wrong on my Windows 7 or is it how Microsoft have changed the OS, in one of the recent updates, so it's supposed to be like that now?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 06:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there some sort of tinfoil cap thing going on here where you don't want to install an update?

Anyway, under Windows Update > Change Settings > Drop down list, make sure appropriate tinfoil cap setting is selected. Then in Windows Update, click on more information and it will list all the updates available, select the ones you don't want, right-click and choose hide update.

Typically, that should fix things for one particular update that you don't want installed.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-19-2012 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The drop-down bit is on
(1) "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".
The only other option that seems to fit is
(2) "Check for updates but let me choose whether to install them"
cause the only other 2 are 'auto' and 'not at all'.

If I choose that (2) 'install only check', it will download them all, won't it? I don't want it to download things I am not going to install, but is that the one to select to fix this problem? :offended:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-19-2012 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's not a verbose copy of what the options are. Check again and read what they say. I'm sure you'll find the "herp-derp" option you're looking for that directly answers your question, it's not like it's a tricky worded multiple choice quiz or anything.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-19-2012 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, 'auto' and 'not at all' are not verbose copies, but that is what those options do. They either have the updates fully automatic - downloading and installing all of them - or they do not download and do not install any at all. Neither of which are applicable to my problem :offended:

Just to prove it to you, they are exactly:
"Install updates automatically (recommended)"
and
"Never check for updates (not recommended)"

The other 2 options which I quoted before were verbose copies.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-20-2012 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reading comprehension skills says door number 3.

Then do what I told you and go into the list of updates and tell Windows to hide the update you don't want.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-20-2012 10:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK, got it now, thanks.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.