Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        new hard drive help

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: new hard drive help

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-23-2012 03:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Right now I have an 80 gig drive, cut in half C: and D:
D: is basically my music and essential files storage.
I just bought a 1 tb drive that I am going to install as the new C: and install a fresh copy of windows on it.
I'm just wondering if I will be able to put the old drive back in and copy the files from D: to the new drive.
I will probably leave it in there and format the C; part and leave D: alone just for a copy.
I know I can just clone it but I really want a fresh install of windows on the new drive.
Oh yeah, :shrug: still using xp .

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-23-2012 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've actually done this with XP a few times and it's hit and miss.

You could probably maybe perhaps copy some of the programs over without having to reinstall, but you'll need to find all associated files that are in Documents & Settings. With most games being self-contained, it's also most likely you could just drag-n-drop them on the new drive, but again insure you move any save games or needed configs in the D&S folders.

Before you do anything, make sure all hidden files and folders are visible.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-23-2012 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gotcha. thanks.
Well I've been fucking around all morning with this.
I found out I need xp sp3 on one disk and I only had xp sp1.
So I just slipstreamed a new iso and have that ready.
Then I found out I need to flash my bios to a newer version to use bigger hdd.
I get this all done and am ready to put the new drive in and my daughter comes in and says
she doesn't want to see me going through all this work for nothing because her and my wife ordered
win 7 for me, which will be here in a few days.
So new question will I be able to copy the files from my old xp disk to the new disk with win 7?
Or what would be another alternative.
I have a spare computer on my network I could copy everything I want to keep then copy to the new drive. IS this a better option?
I'm not concerned with installed programs just music, pics, shit like that.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-23-2012 08:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it's just music and picts, then you have nothing to worry about at all...just drag-n-drop.

Regarding migrating programs from XP to Win 7:

It's still a matter of ensuring all associated files get moved to their proper D&S folders. Under Win 7 you'll get a new folder structure called "ProgramData" along with "ProgramFiles". It's within ProgramData that some of the files get placed that used to go into D&S folders. Basically...if you can't find the corresponding folder in Win 7 that you had under XP, then it probably belongs in ProgramData.

But chances are you'll need to reinstall some programs on the new OS, especially if Win 7 is 64bit. Most of the old programs should still work, but some won't.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-23-2012 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fabulous, thanks mrfister!!!

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-23-2012 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No problem. Also...perhaps one of the network geeks here can give you advice on setting up Homegroups and shit between XP and Win7. AFAIK, Win 7 Homegroups require that all computers in the group be Win 7 and that there is some trickeration needed to get Win 7 and XP machines sharing folders between them.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-23-2012 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shit, for realz??? I should have known, its microsoft. So why would we make all windows os's be able to talk to each other, that would be absurd.
Well, thanks for the heads up, I wasn't expecting that. but will look into it.

Any helps network dewds????

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 12-23-2012 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't need to use homegroups. The simplest way would be to disable all that crap, and simply configure the same local user account with the same password on both PCs. You can then access shares on the other using UNC paths, like \\machinename

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-23-2012 06:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Homegroups are just a rather idiot proof version of home networking which simplifies the steps through a wizard. As U4EA, just set up user accounts and file sharing on both computers. I even have Macs/Linux computers that are configured to share files over the network with my Windows 7 computer.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-24-2012 04:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Done some reading up on this and doesn't seem too difficult.
At least not as difficult as when I had win98 and then put win2000 on my box, fuck that was a headache.
Thanks for the responses :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-16-2013 07:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
If it's just music and picts, then you have nothing to worry about at all...just drag-n-drop.

Regarding migrating programs from XP to Win 7:

It's still a matter of ensuring all associated files get moved to their proper D&S folders. Under Win 7 you'll get a new folder structure called "ProgramData" along with "ProgramFiles". It's within ProgramData that some of the files get placed that used to go into D&S folders. Basically...if you can't find the corresponding folder in Win 7 that you had under XP, then it probably belongs in ProgramData.

But chances are you'll need to reinstall some programs on the new OS, especially if Win 7 is 64bit. Most of the old programs should still work, but some won't.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... y-transfer

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-26-2013 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks shaft, but everything went easier than expected. I had no trouble at all getting my network sorted.
THe only real problem is the old audigy 2 sound card. Creative put out a shit set of drivers that don't work correctly in win7. But I found a set of third party drivers that work pretty well.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-26-2013 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup, that sounds pretty typical of Creative, they can't produce good working drivers for half of their new products, let alone old ones. People don't go through all the trouble of reverse engineering hardware to create third party drivers if the first party drivers had actually worked in the first place.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-27-2013 03:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ya right. Well, why go to the trouble if someone else is going to do it for you. bastards.
I'm actually looking into a new one, what would you recommend. Is an asus xonar, any good? Or how about Auzentech?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.