Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        gtk error

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: gtk error

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-03-2012 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey im trying to run gtkradiant 1.6.3 on my new laptop with windows 8 and i get this error "gtkradiant synapse server initialization failed"

I basically copied all my files from my pc to my laptop, i did not reinstall anything... could this be the issue?
i havent had the time to work at the issue so i figured id ask here first to see what was problem, hopefully get a quick answer without having to search for it or someone telling me to use the search feature.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-04-2012 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reinstall it

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-04-2012 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^Ghost wrote:
I basically copied all my files from my pc to my laptop, i did not reinstall anything... could this be the issue?

Yes. GtkRadiant needs to initialize itself when it is executed the first time. It writes files to the game and program directories, which has since changed when you migrated between systems.

BTW: Just saying "Gtk" means GIMP Tool Kit. It is not the same thing as GtkRadiant, which uses GTK.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-04-2012 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-06-2012 08:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so got it to work half way, it opens but am getting the desktop composition error, but there is no actual check box to disable it, i messed around with the other checkboxes... i can get it to work sometimes but its purely random... so how do i actually fix this, if there is an actual fix

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-07-2012 01:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Right click the Radiant.exe file and go to the "compatibility" tab. I have it configured as follows:

"Run this program in compatibility mode for:" is checked.

I have the dropdownlist below set to "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

The "Disable visual themes" checkbox is checked.
All other checkboxes are unchecked, but you could try checking the "disable desktop composition" checkbox as well.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-07-2012 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What GPU are you using? nVidia, ATI or Intel?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-07-2012 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nvidia 610m

edit: ill have to check the preferences

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-08-2012 08:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

got it to work had to check off ati/intel checkbox as well even though i set up as nvivida driver as primary

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-10-2014 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey i dont feel like making a new topic because its kinda on the same issue, I've been using gtkradiant 1.6.4 for some time now; until recently, on my desktop pc, I get this strange error and theres no way around it..
I can't get past the splash screen

I'm on Win7 SP1

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-10-2014 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where did you extract GtkRadiant? (Example: C:\GtkRadiant)

Where is your game installed?

What is in your console log? It should record errors.

Also, make sure you install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012.

On a 32-bit OS you'll need vcredist_x86.exe.
On a 64-bit OS you'll need both vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-10-2014 06:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Where did you extract GtkRadiant? (Example: C:\GtkRadiant)

D:\Gtkradiant

obsidian wrote:
Where is your game installed?

D:\Quake 3 Arena\Quake 3\
obsidian wrote:
What is in your console log? It should record errors.

http://pastebin.com/ymYnxax0

I also installed both those files, and still the same thing (I forgot to mention I am 64bit)

this version of radiant was working fine, then a few days ago it just stopped working.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.