Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        can't download anything

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: can't download anything

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-02-2013 02:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

windows vista sp2, 32 bit, home premium.

everytime I try to download anything it says it is a virus and blocks it. this includes Microsoft security essentials from Microsoft, adobe flash, java, and windows updates.

security settings are default, no antivirus, just malwarebytes. there are no security toolbars

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-02-2013 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you don't have an antivirus, what's blocking your downloads and reporting it as a virus? Do downloads work in safe mode?

My guess is that you have a piece of malware on your computer that is masking itself as an "antivirus" and blocking your downloads. Whatever is blocking your download may even have a link on it that tells you to pay them a certain amount of money so that they can fix the problem (don't do this). It's a common scam.

If that is indeed the case, you can try getting an antivirus software and running it in safe mode or better yet if it can be run from a separate bootable disk. If that doesn't work, you can try disabling any suspicious services in safe mode which will stop the malware from starting. You may need to also re-enable basic OS services to get updates to work. Worst case scenario, format, reinstall OS.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-02-2013 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no antivirus. had avast, but uninstalled to change to MSE.

malwarebytes shows no infections, and there are no popups.

IE9 and down where you click run, save, cancel...it says download contains virus and has been blocked

went to msconfig and disabled all so nothing should be running to block me

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-02-2013 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you tried booting to safe mode?

Do other browsers work?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-02-2013 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tried safe mode. tried firefox and google chrome. tried IE without addons

doesn't make sense

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-02-2013 07:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-02-2013 09:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks, will try them tomorrow

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-03-2013 09:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the second link worked. thank you

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.