Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Video and DVD Backup ~ What file format?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Video and DVD Backup ~ What file format?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-31-2010 10:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello all :D

I don't often visit this forum but I am in need of some advice.

I bought the missus a laptop last Christmas and now realize I can plug it into my 6 year old plasma panel.

(yes it is that old as, at the time I had some money and little sense it seems as it was the price of a new small car :smirk: )

Anyway I have quite a few video files in various formats collect over the years, science stuff of the 'net mainly , and there are a few in format I can seemingly no longer play? Some are *.ram and others are quicktime.

I also have some DVDs I have purchased over the years and I figure with HDDs being so cheap it is time to convert, backup and be able to view on the plasma panel without carrying my rather heavy (now) tower case back and forward.

Now I have a number of video/DVD conversion programs I have gathered over the years, some freeware/shareware and one or two I have paid for.

My questions..

1, these days, what is the format I should the "save as" file be?
2, There are a number... AVI, MGEG4, but what should I use?

TIA

By the way, I did think storage size was not a consideration, but shrinking the file for easy transfers and yes HDD volume I suppose is warranted, and be nice :D

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 05-31-2010 11:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'll get the ball rolling.
not an expert on this but avi seems to be the most used .. divx avi me thinks

MPEG4 seems to be the default choice on small devices
any shrinking i assume will degrade quality although poor quality videos seem to look nicer on my HD tv for some reason.
i use the dual monitor feature on my computer to play videos on my tv

This software works great for me and converts almost all formats
http://www.any-video-converter.com/

VLC "videolan" as you probably know plays almost all video formats
http://www.videolan.org/

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GIF per frame. You know you want to.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
GIF per frame. You know you want to.

Not quite, those are too old :olo:

Thanks axbaby :up: I too was thinking avi but was wondering what, if any new formats were about.

Will read more about and wait for other replies.

Yes I discovered VLC sometime back and must say it does seem pretty good, and the one I use most of the time.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

.mkv has good quality and compression ratios. It's popular among people who want the best archival qualities, but isn't too widely supported by devices (like if you have some sort of hardware media player - computer software like VLC works with .mkv just fine).

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 07:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if ur backing up dvds easiest and most efficent program to use is dvdshrink, for more newer with higher protection use dvdfab or ripit4me

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-07-2015 11:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OOPs & checking

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.