Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Any suggestions on inexpensively hosting from behind an ISP

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Any suggestions on inexpensively hosting from behind an ISP

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-08-2016 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi there folks!

I live in the sticks and it took me ten years to get something other than dial-up or sat. I finally got fiber which I will never speak poorly of but my ISP has us behind a NAT, so I don't have an IP to call my own. I've not been able to host a Q3 server for years because of that.

I'm wondering if there's an inexpensive way to set up a tunnel or VPN that would allow me to route the server traffic through it. If anyone has any suggestions or experience on matters such as this, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks for your time!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-08-2016 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Signup for a Dynanic DNS from say:
Dyndns, Noip or the like and use the DNS name to connect.

Done!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-10-2016 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks amidy,

It's been a long time since I used DDNS, but I don't think that will work. The issue isn't that I have a dynamic IP, it's that I share the same external IP with hundreds/thousands of other people due to the ISP's NAT'ed firewall.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-15-2016 06:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ohhh really....

So you're internally NAT'd behind their gateway? that's a little messed up...

I think the only way around that would be to VPN tunnel and connect via that.... but even then its a little tough.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-16-2016 04:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
Ohhh really....

So you're internally NAT'd behind their gateway? that's a little messed up...

I think the only way around that would be to VPN tunnel and connect via that.... but even then its a little tough.

That's it exactly, unfortunately. I've got limited experience with tunneling through one of my web servers, but I've always had problems assigning and retaining ports. I was hoping there was some software development that would help. I thought maybe someone might have developed something to allow it, like music placeshifting or these newer games that have it baked in.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.