Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wanted to launch Return to Castle Wolfenstein (just for test) and its console says this:
Code:
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Using Windows 10 Home machine, 64bit version, AMD Quad-Core Processor A6-6310 (↑2.4 GHz) and AMD Radeon R5 M240 Graphics card with 2 GB dedicated VRAM. If it may help, using 4 GB DDR3 L RAM. Maybe OpenGL subsystem is too new to run this old game, but how can I enable compatibility mode for OpenGL? If anything like that exists? It runs perfectly on Windows 7 machine (with Service Pack 1 and bunch of additional security and core patches).

I did not test in in Windows 8, in fact, my Windows 10 machine is straight free upgrade from Windows 8 (upgrade from first launch). I do not have installation disks, nor ISO images for older Windows to place it in VirtualBox, unfortunately. Which settings plays well on Windows 10? I mean compatibility settings. I tried Windows 7 compatibility, Windows XP SP3 compatibility, but neighter seems to work :( Anyone has some ideas on how to fix that?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-27-2017 05:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-28-2017 06:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you. The linked thread contained two links. One for ATI Radeon, the other for nVidia.
ATI Radeon fixes are listed here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1299270

Filefront downloads redirect me to front page, rapidshare download site doesn't exist, the only download that actually worked is the one from github. I ran it through virustotal.com and it gives me one detection over 53 AV softwares.

Do you know Kingsoft AV? It gives Win32.Malware.Generic.a.(kcloud) detection on the EXE from downloaded ZIP. It's supposed to be fixed game engine, but it lacks the original icon (that's something I can fix, I have icon resource editor).

I don't want to screw anything in my computer, so I ask rather now, if it's just false positive or I have to try anything else?

Also: the fix is mainly supposed to fix Steam version. But I have original CD version, back from the 2000. Does it change anything or will the fix work for the original release?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.