Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Quake 3 does not work on higher DPI settings

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 does not work on higher DPI settings

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-14-2019 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi. I have an issue I had with Quake Live recently, I don't know how I solved it with Quake Live, I don't remember. Now I have the same issue with Quake 3. The screen contains only part of the image, everything else is beyond the viewport. I have 125% DPI settings (fonts scale settings), because my screen has higher DPI and I need to be able to read the texts I have on screen. My resolution is Full HD (1920x1080), but DPI is about 90, screen size is like 17", smaller than a normal Full HD monitor. Setting 100% fonts scale would make my eyes hurt. Yes, I know I can set up Chrome page to 125%, but I need this settings system-wide, and only way to achieve this is by setting it up in Windows. That, unfortunately, tries to scale up older apps, including games, so the settings I am using in current build of Windows 10 makes Quake 3 and Quake Live screen appear to be larger than the screen itself.

I tried to set some settings, but now even after I reset the compatibility settings, I cannot launch the game. It shows the console, no error appears, it actually launches afterwards, but suddenly shuts down, without any error noticed. Console does not appear again informing about some error. What's up?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-19-2019 12:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So Quake Live works with settings to override higher resolution DPI settings by app. However, it doesn't with Quake 3 :(

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-19-2019 01:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, I managed to get it working. I had to reset config.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.