Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        IE misbehaving

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: IE misbehaving

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-08-2005 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Running XP Pro sp2, and using IE6, updated etc.

For no good reason my drop-down history tab goes blank. If I click on the history button, all my history for the past 3 weeks is still there.

But the arrow on the right of the address line when clicked shows nothing. It will show the last few things for a few days and then it just goes blank.

Any ideas about this.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-08-2005 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tools->Internet Options.

And the number at the bottom is the history bar.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-08-2005 04:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't use IE.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-08-2005 04:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If IE is set to automatically update through Windows Update and equipped with Google's toolbar its pretty enjoyable to use, but thats just my opinion. I understand that tabbed browsing is a really nice feature but not enough to make me switch over, or most people I know. IE is builtin, free (unlike Opera), and has enough features for most people (especially since SP2).

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-08-2005 07:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, and it is set to 20 days.

You did not read my post. The history button, beside favorites, at the top works fine when clicked. It shows the history for the last 3 weeks.

It is the DROP DOWN menu or last sites visited......the one where you click the arrow at the right of the address bar. This is what goes blank on me for no reason.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-08-2005 07:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was an IE zealot up until a few weeks ago.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 12:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
I was an IE zealot up until a few weeks ago.

If you don't mind my asking what was the reason/feature for your choice and what browser did you switch to?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 12:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I switched to Firefox for tabbed browsing.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 09:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 11:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maxthon has tabbed browsing :twothumbsupwayupsiscelandebertstyle:

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 08:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually don't like tabbed browsing and for some odd reason FireFox makes things look different and it bugs the hell out of me, Mozilla didn't do it, but took forever to load, so I'm sticking to IE.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 08:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corpse wrote:
Yes, and it is set to 20 days.

You did not read my post. The history button, beside favorites, at the top works fine when clicked. It shows the history for the last 3 weeks.

It is the DROP DOWN menu or last sites visited......the one where you click the arrow at the right of the address bar. This is what goes blank on me for no reason.

Try going to http://www.winguides.com and download tweak manager. In there, there should be some settings to "Clear Typed URL History" which may have been set by something in the registry.

If it's not in Tweak Manager, I'd get TweakUI for Windows XP (Powertoys for Windows XP) and it's in there for sure. I'm thinking this may be your problem.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 09:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
I actually don't like tabbed browsing and for some odd reason FireFox makes things look different and it bugs the hell out of me, Mozilla didn't do it, but took forever to load, so I'm sticking to IE.

That weirdness is how the page is most likely intended to look. IE does a shitty job of rendering anything remotely new, standards-wise.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea, thats it :lol:

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 10:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4g3nt_Smith wrote:
Kills On Site wrote:

That weirdness is how the page is most likely intended to look. IE does a shitty job of rendering anything remotely new, standards-wise.

:icon19: :icon19: :icon19: :icon19: :icon19:

Yeah, because pages are supposed to look terrible.

Why do you think most devs code to what looks good in IE? Because its the standard.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.