Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Hotmail

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Hotmail

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 10:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can connect to the Internet and access just about any site, except for Hotmail. When I click the hotmail link and type in name and password, I get this page cannot be displayed.

Does this make sense to anyone.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

try loggin it from msn's site.. then clicking on Hotmail...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 10:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ohh, and if that dosent work, try clearing your temp internet files and cookies and trying again.

( Tools, internet options, delete files ( click on "Delete all offline content", then delete Coockies, and click ok )

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tried that. Its a neighbors computer and it wont connect to Hotmail. Over and over, it just says that page cannot be displayed.

Connects to every other site, but that one.

I tried downloading IE and reinstalling, but it says it cannot install.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you want to expand on that? why does it say it cannot install?

tryed firefox? what windows?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 02:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Has the hosts file in \Windows\system32\drivers\etc been modified at all? the only entry in that file (which can be opened with notepad) should be 127.0.0.1 localhost

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Firefox solved the problem, whatever it was.

Thanks for the help

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 09:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corpse wrote:

Thanks for the help

Good to hear. Just to fix the issue in IE, have you tried resetting it to defaults? IE, Tools, Options, Programs tab, Reset Defaults.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 12:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

classic... :icon19:

dumping IE solves issue with microsofts web-mail service.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Use Yahoo.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 02:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arkleseizure wrote:
Use Yahoo.

That was not a useful suggestion. Please keep to the topic.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
corpse wrote:

Thanks for the help

Good to hear. Just to fix the issue in IE, have you tried resetting it to defaults? IE, Tools, Options, Programs tab, Reset Defaults.

Yes, I did try all that stuff fist.

Quake Addict
Quake Addict
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corpse wrote:

Thanks for the help

I'm glad i read youre post, i was having the same problem since one month...so its goodbye Internet Explorer...lol

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 11:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats an interesting concept. Pretend the problem doesn't exist and switch software rather than figuring out what the user misconfigured.

:icon6:

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because its automatically the user who screwed up when a MS product gets thrown to the side.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 01:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4g3nt_Smith wrote:
Because its automatically the user who screwed up when a MS product gets thrown to the side.

I almost agree with Smith, the reason I use IE instead of FF is becuase FF does some strange things and forgets some formatting on a website, altho I did get Google to look identical, NewEgg still looks strange and has smaller font where bigger font used to reside on the page, especially bold parts and whatnot. Seeing as I have done 2 or 3 installs of FF and it still does that I don't see what user error it could be.

As for this case, when one or two people all of a sudden get a problem with IE and thousands do not all of a sudden get the same issue then it would seem to be user error or spyware or whatever else

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:

As for this case, when one or two people all of a sudden get a problem with IE and thousands do not all of a sudden get the same issue then it would seem to be user error or spyware or whatever else

Precisely :icon14:.

Its most often a user problem because there are a huge amount of people who aren't experiencing this issue. If it was a fatal flaw in the software then it would be affecting a lot more people. That would point to it being a problem on the side of the workstation.

Quake Addict
Quake Addict
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 09:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Before i change to FF, i did try lots of thing...
And the problem seem to be more around here in montreal...
I tried to format and reinstall from scratch everything, but still have the same problem....

One last thing, now that i use FF...its funny, i dont get anymore spyware !!! well..... so little compare to IE ...

Quake Addict
Quake Addict
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 09:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-26-2005 01:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
4g3nt_Smith wrote:

I almost agree with Smith, the reason I use IE instead of FF is becuase FF does some strange things and forgets some formatting on a website, altho I did get Google to look identical, NewEgg still looks strange and has smaller font where bigger font used to reside on the page, especially bold parts and whatnot. Seeing as I have done 2 or 3 installs of FF and it still does that I don't see what user error it could be.

To the best of my knowledge, that is because FF doesn't allow for dodgy html code and IE does. FF won't display the faulty code right and everyone thinks that it's a fault in FF when it's a fault in the page code. I don't know this as fact but I can bring up several links that will support my statement.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dan1407 wrote:

One last thing, now that i use FF...its funny, i dont get anymore spyware !!! well..... so little compare to IE ...

Well if you notice that huge of a change in that little a time then you need to watch the webpages you goto and get a firewall.

Quake Addict
Quake Addict
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
Well if you notice that huge of a change in that little a time then you need to watch the webpages you goto and get a firewall.

Well i already have a firewall...:icon20:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.