Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        How do I disable the startup screen

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How do I disable the startup screen

PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its not the welcome screen, but its a less friendly version of it. It shows my username and I have to type a password, but I don't use a password so I don't need it, so does anyone know how to disable it?

WinXP Pro SP2 corporate or something.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That screen is *always* there in a domain environment and cannot be removed. However, in a workgroup or non-networked environment, go to control panel > user account > find the bit that says 'change the way users log on and off' and you can probably turn the welcome screen back on.

If you want to completely bypass any form of logon screen, I beleive having 1 enabled account on your machine with no password will automatically skip the screen.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 08:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you are the only user, or your account is hte only one used I would do this little tweak

start> run> control userpasswords2> unckeck the users must enter a username and password to use this computer> hit apply and make sure your username is in the logon box

After doing that I would disable the Welcome Screen as disabling it makes logon and logoff, or startup and shut down, faster

PostPosted: 02-20-2005 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That worked but all my settings were taken from the "administrator" account. Any way to transfer the settings from ToxicBug account to the admin account and erase toxicbug?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 06:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not quite sure what you mean, but if I inderstand correctly, why not just autyo logon to ToxicBug and leave the admin account alone?

PostPosted: 02-20-2005 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How do I autologon to ToxicBug? If I disable password checking, it used the Administrator account, and I can't remove that account.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 09:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

try: start > run > control userpasswords2

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 09:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

when you click Apply after hitting the password checking it should give you an "Auntomatically Log On" box with a username, password and comfim password. In the username box just type in ToxicBug and hit OK. That should work

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 09:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

signa wrote:
try: start > run > control userpasswords2

check my first post

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you're the onlyone that uses the pc... why would you use a user other than the admin account?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 11:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For one, if you use the default 'administrator' account, disabling it and using your own personal logon is wise. Anyone attempting to get into your system knows your username if you're 'administrator'. Having to guess both a username and password is more difficult than just having to guess a password.

Second, it's wise to downgrade the account you use to a Power User or normal user. You can't (or shouldn't) do this to the Administrator account. A limited account is more secure for general use.

What's above is the 'good practice' stuff. Most PC users, or humans in general, don't follow precautionary practices if seems like restricting themself. I think it's an ego thing, I find myself guilty of it often.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 01:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
What's above is the 'good practice' stuff. Most PC users, or humans in general, don't follow precautionary practices if seems like restricting themself. I think it's an ego thing, I find myself guilty of it often.

Likewise.

Users running as an admin is one of the biggest reasons so many exploits work. Windows can be quite secure but the problem is that most people don't follow best practices.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 06:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll admit I run an admin access account, mainly for the ease of being able to install everyone I want to me or all users. I have not truly found too many problems doing this, but I set other acounts at a lower setting.

PostPosted: 02-21-2005 07:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats a good idea Foo. I'll look into it :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

toxic, download a little thing from microsoft called "tweakui", then set it to automatically log in as toxicbug => your admin account is safe, your data doesn't have to be moved over, and all's good in the world:

direct link - ms powertools

PostPosted: 02-21-2005 07:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glossy wrote:
toxic, download a little thing from microsoft called "tweakui", then set it to automatically log in as toxicbug => your admin account is safe, your data doesn't have to be moved over, and all's good in the world:

Aye, I had it but didn't see that option. Now I've set a password to the Administrator account, set ToxicBug as a User and put him on autologon. Owned. Thanks everyone :D

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 07:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glossy wrote:

I did do that at one time, but if you have the startup screen disabled, thus making startup and shutdown faster, then it only works once right after you set it.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 05:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but at the price of less security...

*shrug* just passing it on

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.