Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

Hot or Not?
Hot  70%  [ 7 ]
Not  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 10
Topic Starter Topic: A new free Image Editing package

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 02:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Previously, the only free well featured editing package was The Gimp, and the Windows port was, if not a bad port, a bit shoddy.

The only other alternatives were to rip off (or buy!!1!1!) a copy of Photoshop/PSP, or use an image viewer with some hacked on basic editing facilities (ACDSee, IrfanView).

But check this out: http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

Paint.net. Made with support by Microsoft, and with some fairly advanced features like filters and layers.

Far from perfect right now, no transparency, and not yet fully featured.. but it lets me do a whole lot more than I've previously been able to do with a free package :icon30:

Hope someone finds this info useful :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Site seems to be down. :(

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 03:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

chopov wrote:
Site seems to be down. :(

Loads fine for me Chopov... could it be being blocked on your end or such?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oooooh! goodie!
:icon28:
*downloads*

Edit: I liek it. :) Has potential. :up:

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 09:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moderated: Sorry Fender, we can't discuss time limit...extensions...here.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 11:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm aware of that. I'm of the opinion that a much BETTER protest over software prices is to find better, cheaper software to use. Hence almost all my software is free material. Windows is the only exception.

PostPosted: 02-22-2005 04:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks promising so far. :icon14:

rep
rep
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 11:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I LOVE the original interface in this program. History, layers, and a toolbar. We've never seen this before.

Of course, people won't be upset until human cloning. What if you became famous, and people paid for your autograph... But then your agent decided to clone you so people could get your autograph for cheaper or free?

How would you feel then?

This is what open source and freeware projects do. They steal the original features that were developed (costs money) by companies like Adobe.

Fender... Corel wouldn't have a pleasant conversation with IGN if they saw that post.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a Corel product, but point taken.

PostPosted: 02-27-2005 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:
I LOVE the original interface in this program. History, layers, and a toolbar. We've never seen this before.

Of course, people won't be upset until human cloning. What if you became famous, and people paid for your autograph... But then your agent decided to clone you so people could get your autograph for cheaper or free?

How would you feel then?

This is what open source and freeware projects do. They steal the original features that were developed (costs money) by companies like Adobe.

Fender... Corel wouldn't have a pleasant conversation with IGN if they saw that post.

Did you even read the site? It was made with the support of Microsoft. Guess they are tyring to screw themselves? It is to be a replacement for the paint program that comes with Windows. I'm getting confused here, so you're saying that a Microsoft supported free program is trying to steal money from exactly who? Themselves?

Oh and you better get used to open source. It's becoming more and more prevelant.

edit: One more thing, it isn't being developed by a pimply faced kid with warezed coding software. It's being developed by students at Washington State University. These are the future programmers. Hell I'm a noobish programmer myself and I'm not worried about open source. People thought e-mail would devastate ground mail too because it was free. everyone seemed to adapt to that pretty well.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 11:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:

Which in turn forces companies like Adobe to innovate their products and offer something more than just eye candy in their next upgrade cycle. Oh, the bane of open source and freeware products!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.