Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Macs to use Intel processors...confirmation at last?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-11-2005 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I have another browser with a project name of, "666.app" which supports Doom 3 and ET. It's part of the http://www.gamesworldonline.net thing I'm working on :-D

Basically, I wrote a Quake3 master clone along with a client SDK. The SDK can be used by any app for finding other games on the internet. I did it when the GameSpy thing happened. We expect to launch pretty soon and I saw some of the web site graphics last weekend... even I was blown away.

Doing an Intel version of the SDK is just a recompilation as all the network code is big endian based (htons etc). It already runs on Windows, Linux and, of course, OSX (PPC).

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-30-2005 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been learning C# so I can get a Windows version of 666.app going. It's also something I'm interested in as a "fallback" position with all the Intel Mac stuff.

I fairly like Developer Studio 2005 (beta 2) but it has a lot of poor UI programming in it, IMO. Also the UI construction stuff is primitive. It seems you have to actually write code to get it to do stuff (no KVO features). Reminds me of developing for OS 10.2 at best.

The code editing itself is pretty neat and, been a C# noob, the code completion features are rather useful. It's similar to the VC6 I used to use but jazzed up.

Basically, I spent and afternoon and wrote a simple C# app that could load an image into an image view (knows as a picture box on Windows). I was surprised there was no natural way to embed a view in a scroll view. I'd have thought that was a requirement. I had to manually control scroll bars... this is like writing code for MacOS 6.

Interface Builder pisses all over the Developer Studio UI construction, which makes me happy as it does mean I can deploy a shit load faster than any Windows programmer.

BTW, my Mac code seems to compile with the Intel compiler in XCode 2.1. I don't *yet* have a developer machine to try it out on.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.