Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Might be getting

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Might be getting

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 04:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a 17" mac book pro. work are saying i need one which i can use for large format stuff and as a windows citrix lappy :)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 05:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you end up dual booting let me know how you get on. I'm keeping an eye on the macbook pros coming out cause they're sorely tempting now I can run XP on them.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If they come out with a 12" macbook with all the trimmings I'll get one of those, but I just dont need a large laptop to lug around with me.

Congrats on the upcoming puchase, however. :)

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm holding out for the 'ihome' set top box that acts as a frontrow interface without a full mac... like a mac mini without all the crap inside

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 08:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the mac mini was the ihome product.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-05-2006 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm waiting for the MacPro line to make an appearance. My dual G5 is now elsewhere acting as a server *ahem*.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-05-2006 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
I think the mac mini was the ihome product.

I don't. The mini is nothing like a set top box. What I envision is a FrontRow interface without full computer/OS innards, HDMI video and more audio output. Apple is in a perfect position to do it, especially with MS trying to push an ipod "killer" (yeah right) and Windows Media Center. A simple, cheap set top box made in the image of the ipod would blow away media center

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-05-2006 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd say apple's core environment is the Mac, so if they can make this environment have media center capabilities sorts, then all one would need is a small yet powerful machine with that environment. The mini gives this, maybe not with all the proper interfaces, but that can easily be put into new revisions of the system. I think Apple is going somewhere with the remote and front-row.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-05-2006 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The ipod, just like the device like I suggest that would work with movies/music/photos, isn't part of that "core environment" either. Airport Express with AirTunes also isn't part of that core environment, yet delivers remote audio. These things are interfaces into what you call the core environment and with FrontRow they're developing the perfect visual interface. It's only a matter of time until Apple takes it's lightweight remote approach it's done with AP Express and the ipod into the video realm.

Anyone really into home theater or home audio will tell you that the mini doesn't cut it. The whole idea behind the express and ipod is be a lightweight interface, not a full fledged, power sucking computer.

Seriously, saying Apple won't do something because they already have another thing that works kind of well (like using a hammer to break an egg), when they already have a proven track record of developing lightweight remote interfaces, is a bit illogical. After all, the whole point of Apple is to think different. Without Apple, I woudln't have a 24" Dell widescreen monitor on my desk right now. Apple pioneers this kind of stuff. Their corporate mantra is to beat the other guy to the punch in a couple of categories and do it really well.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-05-2006 08:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dont get your panties in a bunch. Its not illogical at all. Apple has a small device that has the potential to work quite well as a set-top box.

The ipod is a portable device and is meant for convenience more than anything else, and has nothing to do with the concept of a digital "hub". Its just one of the many branches.

Airtunes requires a computer with iTunes on it, and so is similarly another branch.

I'm not saying the Mini is the best solution, but such a form factor can be easily turned into a set-top box like device. As it is, apple doesnt have a dedicated set-top box. Currently the mini doesnt have the graphics power for the best multimedia experience, but with the core 2 duo and other upgrade options available for it, along with the evolution of Front Row into a more robust media handling application, I can see quite a potential for the mini to fill the set-top box role without Apple having to invest in a dedicated set-top box solution.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-05-2006 08:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A set-top box is essentially a computer attached to your TV, so you can browse the net, check email, watch TV shows and possibly record them, and enable more multimedia on the TV than just the basic TV channels.

With a few upgrades to the mini you could have all this:

-remote controlled device (Apple remote)
-built-in isight (or even external) for web chatting
-wireless bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse.
-Front-row media interface
-OS X in the background for other computing needs
-wireless high-speed internet
-local and "Bonjour" access to the following:
-Full music library access to home stereos
-Full personal photo access to TV
-Full movie file access to TV as well as DVD player.

All this, in a little box, and they already have potential for it in the mini. It would be a waste of resources to make an entirely new device that's limited to a specific function. Such an endeavor would go the route of the eMate and other "email-only" devices that died off. Everything is going the route of multi-functionality (PDAs, Phones, laptops, desktops, etc) and the only limit to a universal device is the portability vs functionality factor.

Now I can see them coming out with a Mac Mini "Media Edition" or something like that, which has a coaxial connector for TV, and a few upgrades and software additions to give the functionality I described above, but we'll see. I doubt they'd extend any effort to cut back functionality from a device, and I see going the route of a dedicated set-top box would be a step in that direction.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-05-2006 09:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's an interview (I saw linked from slashdot) with someone from apple, discussing some of the upcoming devices and announcements:

http://www.dvdnewsroom.com/news/breakin ... -and-apple’s-media-center-strategy-what-to-expect-and-not-to-expect-at-wwdc/

Quote:
A. iPods and movies are just a distraction. Movies to download to a media center, connected directly or streamed via Airport, that’s the direction. Front Row goes TiVo.

Q. Would this be a new device?

A. No, the Mac mini will grow in this direction. I’ve seen a prototype box that would fit among your electronics with Airport, Ethernet, DVD, Front Row, TiVo-ish support. I doubt this will ever see the light of day. We’re very focused on our current product line up; less is more, thus no 12” MacBook Pro or 14” MacBook.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-06-2006 12:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
if you end up dual booting let me know how you get on. I'm keeping an eye on the macbook pros coming out cause they're sorely tempting now I can run XP on them.

i already run an imac on boot camp. there's another tool which is meant to be better, going to try it out

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-06-2006 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
Dont get your panties in a bunch. Its not illogical at all. Apple has a small device that has the potential to work quite well as a set-top box.

The ipod is a portable device and is meant for convenience more than anything else, and has nothing to do with the concept of a digital "hub". Its just one of the many branches.

Airtunes requires a computer with iTunes on it, and so is similarly another branch.

I'm not saying the Mini is the best solution, but such a form factor can be easily turned into a set-top box like device. As it is, apple doesnt have a dedicated set-top box. Currently the mini doesnt have the graphics power for the best multimedia experience, but with the core 2 duo and other upgrade options available for it, along with the evolution of Front Row into a more robust media handling application, I can see quite a potential for the mini to fill the set-top box role without Apple having to invest in a dedicated set-top box solution.

lol.. I wear boxers and they're not bunched up.. chill out. As you just said, the mini has the potential, but in it's current form it's a pile of shit for HT use. I'd take that 'story' you posted with a huge grain of salt because it's a rumor just like every other Apple inside info site out there.

Even if it is a completely legit interview:

Quote:
Apple employees find out about new products when they’re being announced. Or online. Nobody knows anything.

Just from her own admission, she knows just a little bit more about Apple's direction than I do, so I wouldn't give her any credit for insightfulness.

In order for the mini to be successful at HT it would need television style outputs like HDMI or Component video without the crappy 10 cent TV encoder chip most video cards sport and real optical and/or coaxial digital outputs. Toss out the crappy headphone to RCA/optical plug because it's a weak link that computer geeks can't seem to tear away from. An analog tv tuner at the minimum would be nice also, but not a requirement.

Whether or not the mini is the platform for such a device is pretty much an irrelevant point because it really doesn't matter what they use as the building blocks. No matter how you want to argue it, the mini is nothing more than a barebones box designed to lure people away from MS in it's current format, not a serious media center box. The rest is just speculation and wishful thinking. The fact that Apple is proving itself as a designer of lightweight frontend interfaces for it's backend OS and hardware is a clue that video is the next step for them. Why wouldn't they continue down this path? Streaming high bitrate video over slow G wireless is the only thing I can see standing in their way. Wireless N technology should fix that problem.

You never want to use the word doubt with Apple, especially now that they've gone intel.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-04-2006 11:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've just put my order in for a 15.4 2.16GHz Mac book Pro :)