Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Letter from the Eastern Front

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Letter from the Eastern Front

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-06-2005 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some of you will already know I've been busy in the last couple of months.

As it stands, right now, we have a home-made Quake 3 compatible master server running which *will* work with my new browser app, "666.app".

As the name implies, it if centered around the upcoming release of Doom 3 and our master server even has a feed from the ID master. Yes, that's right, a Quake 3 browser can get Doom 3 servers.

Client end apps can use a SDK to talk to the master, it has a C interface to make it easy though it's C++/STL internally. It is currently available for MacOS X and Windows. A port to Linux would take a few hours... I even have Mandrake installed on my PC.

We're going to be going on-line with a web site very soon. It has its own forums developed with WebObjects, so none of this crackable phpbb stuff.

Here's some screenshots from the SDK:

http://homepage.mac.com/only_mortal/scr ... Client.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/only_mortal/scr ... Client.jpg

canis
canis
PostPosted: 03-06-2005 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As long as it will get Q3 servers as well, I'm down with using it. I dont think I'll be buying D3 anytime soon, though I'd like to have a chance to test out the proggie.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-06-2005 10:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, wait until Doom III is $19.99 or less. Then you might pay what it's worth. :\

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-07-2005 02:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmmm so this is a server browser? Not a terribly bad idea but ASE has served me well so far. :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-08-2005 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ASE rocks, but now it's owned by Yahoo. To my knowledge, there're no Windows browsers that aren't owned by a big named corp.

I did a Mac browser for Quake 3 derivatives a few years ago which seemed pretty popular. It was the first on OS X, I think. I did take a good look at ASE as that's what I'd been using on my legacy OS when I played Q3TA for NCG ;-)

The initial version of "666.app" will be Doom 3 only (time constraints) but, if you know me, Quake 3 will follow very quickly.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-08-2005 02:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kquery is from indy developers and it's free. :)

http://www.kquery.com/

I still use ASE though, unless Yahoo decides to really mess it up. So far they haven't done anything drastic with it, and hopefully it will mean more frequent updates, as opposed to before where they where a rare occurence.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-08-2005 02:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you plan on adding a fully commercial GUI to your app when it's done?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, the client GUI will be free. Now we have the master up and running on a real internet connection, expect something this week (if I can get my shit together).

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FWIW, I'll let the qstat guys know how to get a feed off us. I'm pretty sure Kquery is qstat based.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.