Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        I'm having some computer problems :( help me mac friends

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: I'm having some computer problems :( help me mac friends

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 07-25-2005 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok well today i was monkeying around with the file sharing preferences on my powerbooks today and i was trying to link them together so i could just send a few files to the other one.. i don't know what i did, but somehow i f'd something up. One of the powerbooks is fine,but on the other one, i don't really get it! if i drag something onto my desktop and search for it, IT DOESN'T SHOW UP! i type in my harddrive's file name in the search thing and it doesn't do anything either! but the weird thing is that if i do something, say in Word, and save it to my desktop, it DOES NOT go to the REAL desktop, but it goes to this desktop folder into one of my user account folders... and i lost like al of my preferences on my applications, like my favorites in firefox, my personal preferences in adium, my email settings in thunderbird.. ugh i don't know what to do i just feel sick... i don't want to have to reinstall the os :(... can anyone help?

PostPosted: 07-25-2005 06:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

for the sickness i suggest a doctor or physician. hope that helps..

canis
canis
PostPosted: 07-25-2005 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What model PB is it and what OS is it running?

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 07-25-2005 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah man i fixedit, i searched on the apple forums and i finally found this article, i guess in panther and tiger, if you change the name of your home folder (it is set to your computers shortname) to a name that ISN'T your shortname, then it makes a new folder.. it is weird and i can't even explain it, but i fixed it by changing the folder name i changed back to my computer's shortname :dork: but it kinda irritated me that it is so easy to change the name of that folder and onthe apple site it even gives you a warning, they shoud have told me that earlier.

PostPosted: 07-25-2005 08:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good!

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 07-25-2005 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

zeeko wrote:
ah man i fixedit, i searched on the apple forums and i finally found this article, i guess in panther and tiger, if you change the name of your home folder (it is set to your computers shortname) to a name that ISN'T your shortname, then it makes a new folder.. it is weird and i can't even explain it, but i fixed it by changing the folder name i changed back to my computer's shortname :dork: but it kinda irritated me that it is so easy to change the name of that folder and onthe apple site it even gives you a warning, they shoud have told me that earlier.

You can probably change the home folder name with the netinfo utility and a second admin account to do the work

canis
canis
PostPosted: 07-25-2005 09:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could you change the home folder to a second drive? I was thinking of installing a second drive in my comp and was hoping to have my home folder on it, but couldnt figure out how. If I named the drive name to my login name, and then edited the netinfo home directory to point to the root of that drive, would my Documents, Music, and other default folders show up there and work as they currently do in my home folder?

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 07-25-2005 10:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldnt save it on the drive root, but you could make a symbolic link in the /Users folder to the folder on the other drive you wanted to be your home folder.

There's a good hint about this on macosxhints that im too lazy to look up at the moment :p

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.