Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        broken bluetooth antenna?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: broken bluetooth antenna?

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 06-27-2006 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A coworker was dinking around with my G5 and shoved the box against the wall, breaking off the airport and bluetooth antennas. The airport is fucked, but the bluetooth antenna still looks fine.

I plugged it back in, but the wireless mouse is responding very poorly.

My question: is there something I need to do to reactivate the bluetooth in addition to just plugging the antenna in? Or does this mean the antenna really is broken?

The keyboard still seems to work fine, and the mouse has fresh batteries. Do I have any options short of buying a new antenna?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 06-27-2006 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The first thing to do is to kick that fucker's ass.

After that, there should be a way to reset the mouse and bluetooth hardware, in case there's a channel conflict or something like that. However, I'd suspect its the antenna just being jacked. Try jiggling it or something to get a better connection with the antenna, and if it gets a better signal then that should explain it.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 06-27-2006 10:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmm...

I tried setting up a new bluetooth device, but it said it couldn't detect any mouse. Nevertheless, it seemed to work a bit better after that. I'm just going to leave it unless it craps out again.. then maybe I'll buy a new one. Upon closer examination, it looks like the antenna got cut through the insulation on its side, so that might be the problem.

The worst part is that my coworker refuses to take responsibility for it, which means I have to rat on him if I want to get it replaced.

Not that I'm above that, of course... :evil:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.