Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        New hope for an old computer?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: New hope for an old computer?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-17-2007 12:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hi guys,

i am not very educated on older video cards for older computers. But i am looking for an upgrade on my POS machine. it has a stock ATI rage 128 that is the biggest crapfest I have ever experienced. My budget is about 100 dollars. What could you guys reccomend for my ancient machine?

Power mac G4 450Mhz (Dual Processor) [go ahead laugh it up]
384mb sdram
mac oS 10.4.8

right now I can run Q3 at about 50-60fps. but when i run mods, the framerate sinks very low. I would like to fix this, as i am an avid fan of q3 mods. but i am currently restricted by how much framerate gets put out.. is there any hope for my machine?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-20-2007 07:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wouldn't bother. put the cash towards a mini mac

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-25-2007 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I developed ViaVoice on a similar spec Mac except I had more RAM. I'd not run MacOS with less than a gig nowadays, and that'd be the minimum.

You might add more RAM as it would make a difference when running apps in general.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-01-2007 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a similar machine running 10.3.9 - played a lot of q3 on that baby, but DB is right, those days are gone, save ur $ till you can do something substantive

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.