Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Using an iPod on a Windows machine and a Mac

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Using an iPod on a Windows machine and a Mac

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's not possible right? :icon33:

canis
canis
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I believe you just have to authorize the ipod for both computers and it will work. You wont be able to transfer files between the computers, but you should be able to update your ipod with the songs on both computers.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 01:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You'll be able to transfer files adn sync music only if its formatted on a Windows machine first (in FAT32, so that both Windows and OS X can read and write it), or you use Macdrive on the PC, which will allow you to read the HFS+ formatting that OS X applies to an iPod.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 03:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So who's right, can you transfer and sync on both computers (Mac and PC) if I want to keep my collection on both. Or do I need something like iPod agent instead of iTunes? :)

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 04:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm very sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I should have said "Using an iPod with iTunes on two different computers, a PC and a Mac and with fulll sync".

This is cause i'm planning to buy a 12" powerbook.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 04:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, that won't work (unless the librarys are identical), as the iPod is designed to only sync one library at a time (lame assed RIAA pushed for BS like that and the difficulty to move music back to the computer). You could use one of the many third-party apps out there, but I'm not familar with them.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's an app called iPod Agent that can do what you need between two PCs. Dunno if it'll work with a Mac formatted iPod though.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 02:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool, I have that app, haven't tried it yet

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-06-2005 01:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
I'm very sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I should have said "Using an iPod with iTunes on two different computers, a PC and a Mac and with fulll sync".

Full sync: No.

Your iPod will be accessible from your Mac. iTunes doesn't support auto-sync from two computers so you'll have to switch to manual management. Then, you can copy songs from your libraries (both PC and Mac) on your iPod but the "copy protection" of iTunes won't allow you to copy songs from your iPod to your PC or Mac. However, there are a zillion of (free) third-party tools that enable this feature. Just to name one on the Mac side: <a href="http://wbyoung.ambitiouslemon.com/senuti/">Senuti</a> rocks.

Hope this helps.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-06-2005 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You might try replace your Mac iTunes folder with a symlink to the Windows iTunes folder which you could share with Windows and have the Mac mount.

Dunno if it will work but with iTunes been a legacy Carbon app on OS X, it probably doesn't know what a symlink is ;-)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.