Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Explanation of CM_BoxTrace requested

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Explanation of CM_BoxTrace requested

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-19-2020 04:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never mind, I figured it out.

Hi,

Could someone please explain the use of arguments in the function CM_BoxTrace? I marked below the arguments in question. What are the possible values and what is their purpose?

void
CM_BoxTrace
(
trace_t *results,
const vec3_t start,
const vec3_t end, <- how could I know in advance where the trace stops? Or is this a limit?
vec3_t mins,
vec3_t maxs,
clipHandle_t model, <- model of what?
const vec3_t origin,
int brushmask, <- inclusion/exclusion? if yes, what?
int capsule <- ???
)

I tried to figure it out by following function calls and argument usage but the whole thing seemed to me hopelessly convoluted. All I need is a simple line trace (like the railgun code does) and identification of the endpoint (type of entity hit).

Thanks!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-05-2022 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What are you trying to do with this? I tried to get the pill collision code to work but I don't understand it. :(

Maybe I should start with a sphere...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.