Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Quake 3 Arena Godot Port (no longer Unity)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 Arena Godot Port (no longer Unity)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-31-2023 04:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I've been working for a few month in porting Quake 3 to the Unity Engine.
There are a lot of reason why it should be ported, but anyway
Yesterday I manage to get it SplitScreen Multiplayer working
Remember it is still in Alpha, so not everything is complete

Just wanted to share with you guys

Last edited by Carnage on 12-24-2023 04:43 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-05-2023 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty interesting!

I've had experience on Unity, it was one of the first game engines I used to develop games on 3d animation vocational training degree classes.

That could be cool to make mods on it! Great work!

I've to give a review about the test, I see details, the map rendering is darker than the original Q3 ones. The head model doesn't appear in the HUD, also the attacker name and head model of the attacker, ... Well, I know that's still WIP and there are TODO stuff to be done.
Keep it, that's nice! :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-06-2023 01:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Splitscreen! That's pretty cool.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-07-2023 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LegendGuard wrote:
Pretty interesting!

I've had experience on Unity, it was one of the first game engines I used to develop games on 3d animation vocational training degree classes.

That could be cool to make mods on it! Great work!

I've to give a review about the test, I see details, the map rendering is darker than the original Q3 ones. The head model doesn't appear in the HUD, also the attacker name and head model of the attacker, ... Well, I know that's still WIP and there are TODO stuff to be done.
Keep it, that's nice! :D

Yes indeed, it has a lot of stuff to be done. We have finally come with an auto way to use Q3 Shaders to Unity Shaders

So indeed the dynamic loading is getting much better, still in Alpha though

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-14-2023 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It would be cool to see people contributing this project.

Q3 shaders are different from Unity shaders, looks like it's using Shader Graph, right?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-24-2023 04:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LegendGuard wrote:
It would be cool to see people contributing this project.

Q3 shaders are different from Unity shaders, looks like it's using Shader Graph, right?

Since the Unity Fiasco back in September, I've switched to the Godot Engine, and the result has been most impressive, not only I'm getting more performance out of it, but also I get a lot less limitation that Unity impossed.
Right now the way shaders are implemented is that they are converted to Godot GLSL shaders:
Here is a video showing that in action on Godot 4:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-07-2024 07:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's pretty damn cool to see running in Godot! Definitely future proof now. :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-18-2024 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Carnage wrote:
Since the Unity Fiasco back in September, I've switched to the Godot Engine, and the result has been most impressive, not only I'm getting more performance out of it, but also I get a lot less limitation that Unity impossed.
Right now the way shaders are implemented is that they are converted to Godot GLSL shaders:
Here is a video showing that in action on Godot 4:

Glad to know. That's better than I could expect, the future is shining here! :q3:

I would be pleased to contribute this project.
The project could start to bear fruit, so I think a port like that is worth it even if Godot continues to update its engine, even to make mods there.

I wonder if MD3/IQM model structures, like Quake 3 originally does, which are divided by head, torso and legs could work. That's also something I wish could be done.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.