Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        The differences between a MOD and a GAME

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The differences between a MOD and a GAME

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-31-2008 11:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i want to program a GAME, not a MOD. So i guess i have to change the qvm-files... How can i view/create/change qvm-files?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-01-2008 01:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mods use QVMs. Are you talking about a standalone game?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-01-2008 01:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm getting the impression OP doesnt know too much about the programming side of modding yet....

OP, do you understand the C programming language?

QVM's are written in C, and compiled via the tools supplied with the gamecode. The main quake3.exe is also written in C, but requires a 3rd party compiler to compile it. For modding, you can download just the gamecode, while if you want to do engine-side changes you'll need to download the full GPL'd source code.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-01-2008 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

misantropia: There are 3 Quake qvm in pak0/vm, right? so the game uses qvms as well... yes, i'm talkin about making a completely new game.

Anthony: I didn't even understand what you said.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-01-2008 04:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm afraid until you understand what I said, you wont be able to do what you want.

To be able to make either a mod or a full game based on Quake3, you're going to need to be able to program in C (or have someone working with you who can do this part).

You can maybe make a start from one of the many tutorials online that you can find via google, although you should be warned that learning to program is neither a simple or quick process.

The source-code to the QVM's and tools can be downloaded in the file: Q3A_TA_GameSource_132.exe. Dont expect to understand the contents of that for a few months/years though.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-07-2008 05:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heyhey, my english isn't perfect :yawn:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.