Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Q3knockOut 1.5.0-beta released

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q3knockOut 1.5.0-beta released

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-16-2009 02:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New release out of my mod Q3knockOut, Version 1.5.0-beta:

The latest release (1.5.0-beta) of the mod you find here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/q3knockout/do ... t-150-beta

I am currently running a 24/7 server with my latest beta to test it not only with bots but real players. You can join the server here (the mod is server side only, so no need to download it):

194.97.165.140:27960

Unfortunatly the server provider doesn't allow custom mod folders, so I have to run it from baseq3. I have download disabled, so no client baseq3 will be messed up with my mod pk3.

Here a litte description of my mod:
Quote:
Q3knockOut changes your Quake experience in a very unique way: Scoring is not done by directly hit and kill your enemy, but by pushing him out of the area into the void or other deadly spots in a map like lava and such. Therefor you get weapons from the start to frag your opponents. This is done by pushing them with your weapons projectile. A direct hit with one of your weapons won't hurt your enemy but the knockback of these will push your enemy away. You use the knockback effects to knock them into the deadly spots of a map. Every weapon has its own effect so you have to decide what weapon is best in a situation to effectively knock your opponent out. Q3knockOut comes with new weapon and item behaviours, a very fast gameplay, new ways for cool jumps and moves.

Compatible maps:

Usually only the open-space/floater maps work with this mod since only the skybox kills. Most of the floater maps hosted by lvlworld.com work:
http://lvlworld.com/topmaps/5/12

Currently featured by the beta:

- Bot AI: Dynamic bot skill - bots change their skill during a game automatically according to the skill of the active players. Enabled via variable: mod_dynamicskill "1"
- User Interface: Dynamic bot skill setting.
- User Interface: Single player option goes directly to skirmish menu, so tier based single player is skipped.
- Gameplay: Grenades are more sticky where they hit the ground for more accurate placement.
- Gameplay: Quad pickup by a player is globally announced.
- Gameplay: Teleport collectable is enabled in Instagib.
- Gameplay: In Instagib railgun is replaced by flight powerup.

Gameplay tipps:

- Use the rocket launcher to rocket jump through a map - no jump pads are really needed anymore to move through a map.
- With powerups haste/quad Plasma is the most effective weapon.
- Use BFG with care, since its missiles have a very high knockback effect.
- The gong sound marks the spawn of the BFG, "Holy shit!" announces the pickup of a BFG.
- Instagib: To push opponents over a fence, try to rail them from a position below and not from the same height position.
- Instagib: You can use the railgun now to "rocket jump" through a map.
- Instagib: You can also try to push opponents over a fence by using the splash knockback of the rail impact by shooting from a high above position near the opponents stand point.

Last edited by Salinga on 11-16-2014 06:08 AM, edited 4 times in total.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-17-2009 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New beta:
* Intermission: Spectators are auto ready.
* Intermission: Setting the ready flag triggers a grunt sound from the player.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-26-2009 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, release 1.4.0 is out:

http://www.q3knockout.de.vu/

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-26-2009 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Used to play your mod at LAN parties. Great fun that!

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-26-2009 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL -thx! Fun is the name of the game! :)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-08-2009 01:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun!

But youtubed sample video would be really appreciated before diving to hassle.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-26-2010 01:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made a demo for the mod:
http://www.moddb.com/members/salinga/do ... t-140-demo

You do not need to have the mod installed to run this demo.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-15-2010 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1.4.1-beta now running on the server:
jonesbones.4npserver.de:27960

Changes:
* Grenades only bounce once a little, so they basically stick where they fell down. Now grenades can be shot more accurate to mine an area. Damage balanced to that.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-20-2010 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New beta installed.

Changes:
* Bots change their skill dynamically to the skill of the online players.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-20-2010 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You mean the bots are self-learning? If so, awesome! How did you do it?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-20-2010 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I broke out the parts from BotAISetupClient() in ai_main.c that set the bot skill and put them in a function. If the scores of the human players differ for a minimum amount for a period of time I increment (humans play better) or decrement (bots play better) the skill values of the playing bots.

By calling Info_SetValueForKey("skill"), trap_SetUserinfo() and ClientUserinfoChanged() the skill change is showed in the scoreboard and remembered on map changes.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-20-2010 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds smart. But what if I suicide a lot?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-20-2010 06:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bots don't go below the initial skill for a game, so the player decides how much the bots "dumb down". They can only get smarter as the initial skill but not dumber.

And if you're with other humans on the server, the average score is taken as the human skill factor. So if you're with a good skilled player on a server you have to often suicide and in the end it will only help your opponent - because you have a low score and the bots are easier to defeat, so he even gets more score against you.

That should balance it enough I think. :)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-15-2014 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Version 1.5.0-beta released. More info in the first post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=773423#p773423

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-16-2014 04:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's great game! Thanks :) Maybe I will design a map specially for this challenge :)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-16-2014 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thx for your support! :)

Would be cool to see a map especially made for Q3knockout. :) So far only the open-space/floater maps are playable, since only the skybox kills.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-16-2014 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see if I can produce some good environment combining classic design like q3dm1 or q3dm6 and the space floaters like q3dm16 or q3dm19 :) Have you seen the movie Avatar? Especialy the Floating Hills, that might be my subject of focus :)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice project! :) Looking forward to it!

Here's a demo file so you can see the gameplay:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/q3knockout/do ... t-140-demo

Here three maps that work well with Q3knockout and maybe go into the direction you are thinking structurally:
http://lvlworld.com/review/id:2238
http://lvlworld.com/review/id:2183
http://lvlworld.com/review/id:1251

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-23-2014 05:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gameplay videos:

FFA

instagib

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 07:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your videos appear glitchy to me, make sure you have chosen right codec to make videos...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.