Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Qvm making.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Qvm making.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-29-2011 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, my bat files for compiling qvm works. But if i have source of mod quake 3 and there is no bat files, how can i compile qvm for this mod? And what i must to edit in bat files (game.bat for example)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-29-2011 03:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Assuming that your mod correctly compiles as DLL files, use this tutorial to make the necessary changes to the batch files and set up everything correctly so the qvm compiler works.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-29-2011 03:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank u a lot for fast answer! I will try it now. I mean i want to edit urban terror source (based on quake3 engine) and there is no batch files. Also there is no bin folder in /lcc Should i first copy lcc/bin folder to this sources?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-29-2011 03:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I need only to copy lcc.exe, q3asm.exe, q3cpp.exe, q3rcc.exe and edit batch files?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-29-2011 03:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well... to get the source code for a clean SDK installation you'll need to do only those things yes, but with Urban Terror I'm not so sure. I can imagine they'll have a number of additional sourcecode files that need to be compiled into the qvm files which aren't included in the original batch files.

Maybe the folks over at the Urban Terror forums will have more specific knowledge about the UrT sourcecode and how to build that.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-29-2011 03:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nobody will answer to me :) There is 4-6 mods only and nobody will not say how they did it)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-29-2011 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But is there any way to see which files need to be compiled in Qvm?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-29-2011 05:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess all the .c files
What you could do is compare a clean SDK install with the Urban Terror source and see which .c files they've added and expand your bat files to include those as well. It's worth a try.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-17-2011 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know this is slight thread necromancy, but for the benefit of future googlers: Eraser, the op Laggi thought he had the actual Urban Terror mod source code, but he didn't (since it is not open source there is no way he would have it), what he had is the ioUrbanTerror engine source code (which is just a slightly modified ioquake3 minus the mod files).

The '4 to 6 mods' that Laggi talks about are these strange server side qvm hack mods that somehow inject behaviour into the qvm, apparently not through hex editing per se, but essentially something like that. IE: Not real mods that have been compiled like you would normally do a mod. Whoever is making these "mods" (I call them hacked server qvms not mods) is very secretive about who's doing it and how they do it, so no wonder Laggi couldn't find out.

Also, since UrT is closed source, the only way to make any sort of "mod" is through improper methods like pak hacking (for non-code content 'mods') or this weird qvm hack mod thing. (And there are some extremely limited server engine mods like 64 players.) Because of this, discussion of modding Urban Terror on the UrT forums is against their forum rules.

The only way to make a proper mod for Urban Terror would be if you had the source code, or if someone took the original Quake 3 open source code and edited it to make their own source code that behaved like urt, and then you used that code.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-27-2012 01:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know this topic is old, but after a bit of googling I found http://www.urtmods.co.cc where you can download the qvm hacks and all you have to do is place them in your q3ut4 folder, I know someone of the >b2k< Sniper MOD that got it off urtmods

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.