Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Using Quake 3 for prototyping.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Using Quake 3 for prototyping.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-30-2011 01:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello! I want to use Quake 3 to prototype a game I've been wanting to make for a while. It's actually relatively simple, and I actually have a ton of code from a number of mods as reference.

Does anyone have a clue where I should look to find a capable programmer? Thanks!

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-30-2011 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Depends. If it's a for-pay project, you could try elance or rentacoder.com but you'll have to do some heavy filtering - lots of incompetents on those sites.

For a free project, well... you'll have to win over people or pick up coding yourself.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-31-2011 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No one makes mods on their free time anymore, huh? : \

And here I was trying to fill a massive void in the shooter market.

Can anyone recommend good books on programming C/++?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-31-2011 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People still do it for free, but only if it shows promise. Take Eraser's Entity Plus mod, he just started working on it himself and posted a link to early tests and people naturally contribute to the project out of a common interest.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-31-2011 12:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Countless numbers of people still work on mods for the Source engine (Half-Life 2), UDK (Gears of War/Unreal Tournament 3 and many other games) and even the odd indy game like Minecraft. Its just cthat Q3 is very old and thus not a very popular development platform anymore.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it's an SP game, you should consider not coding a thing and using E+ for a proof of concept proto, with little to no code modification. That's what I'm doing, with some extent of success.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.