Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Questions and problems

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Questions and problems

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-05-2011 06:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First question: Basically, I`m wanting to learn C quickly while still absorbing the fundamentals, etc. The reason I`m asking is because I still want to study Japanese and studying both long-term would be pushing it, as you could imagine. Then there`s maps to build, all that crap.

So how much experience do you think I should grab with C before diving in? Will the basics of C as well as knowledge of the types of special Q3 functions suffice, or do I need to know even the most intricate things? I know theoretically I could get into it right now, but how much do you recommend to work with it comfortably, so to say? Sorry if it sounds stupid but I feel like I need to know. (I like to make sure of things) Right now I am messing around with it a bit making just minor simple changes and trying to get it set up, though I have some issues. (read on)

Among some of the ideas for a mod I`m thinking of: new weapons, new gametypes, support for up to four teams (green and yellow) rather than just two, and some other stuff. But that is if I can get around to it.

Next, when I compile the code, I get this error and both builds fail:
Quote:
>win32\winquake.rc(10): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'winres.h'.
8>
========== Build: 6 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

What is this "winres.h" which they speak of? I have no clue but if anyone knows what it is and how to fix it, it`d be greatly appreciated. BTW, this happens with the clean, unmodified code so I know it`s not the code itself but something wrong with my setup.

Thanks.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 09-05-2011 06:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where did you get the source from?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-05-2011 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
Where did you get the source from?

http://www.shacknews.com/file/7443/quak ... ource-code
Ahh, I just realized I need to run some .bat files before hand, but went too fast and didn`t read. lol, sorry about that. Hope I didn`t waste your time.

P.S. I use Visual Studio 2010. I had to convert the project and it says some source controls aren`t found, etc. should I be concerned? Or does this not affect anything?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-05-2011 06:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That`s odd, just ran the four programs it told me to run and I receive this new message:
Quote:
1>Debug_TA/uix86.lib : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

The old winres.h issue continues to pop up as well.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-05-2011 10:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't worry about the source controls. Just tell Visual Studio to remove all source control bindings.

Also, you're building the Team Arena source code. Is that what you want? If not, then I suggest you pick "Release" from the drop down list you'll find in the menu bar. It'll say Debug_TA right now probably. Oh also, if you haven't done this yet, right-click the "ui" project (not "q3_ui") and select "unload project" before building. You can also try following my tutorial that I wrote some time ago. I like to think that it's pretty straight forward to follow.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-06-2011 01:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking in the /code folder as mentioned, I can`t find a .dsw file. :confused:

I also want to keep the TA code (it has a bit more fun stuff to mess with)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-06-2011 02:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Weird. That file was put there by the .exe installer I downloaded from the id software ftp

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 09:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, so I ran the three .bat files, but I can`t seem to find the quake3/baseq3/vm folder that is supposed to be created. It is said to be "in the same hard drive as where the batch files are located."

Also, in the tutorial you mention to prefix all "lcc" lines with ..\..\..\, but then in your example you also prefix it with \bin... so I`m not sure which is which.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 05:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You have to use ..\..\..\bin\ because lcc it's in bin directory.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.