Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Doom 3 source code ready for release

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Doom 3 source code ready for release

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-01-2011 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-01-2011 08:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to it :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-02-2011 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tbh I wouldn't know what to do with it. It's stuff that goes way, way over my head.
Would be interesting to see what the community does with it though, although I do wonder if there's much of a community left.

I do expect some sort of port to iOS or Android though :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-02-2011 06:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are still tons of mods out there actively working on stuff. Not to mention the whole indie scene. There's a community alright.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-02-2011 07:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-02-2011 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
tbh I wouldn't know what to do with it. It's stuff that goes way, way over my head.
Would be interesting to see what the community does with it though, although I do wonder if there's much of a community left.

I do expect some sort of port to iOS or Android though :)

C++ is just an extension of C anyway, so it can't be too difficult to adapt to if you already know C. I'm still pretty bad at C though so it might be a bit of a challenge for me. I guess the overall technology behind it is a whole lot more complicated than tech3 though.

Yeah I'm sure we can expect to see an ioDoom3 eventually :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-02-2011 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:

Choke the chicken?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 12:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
C++ is just an extension of C anyway, so it can't be too difficult to adapt to if you already know C. I'm still pretty bad at C though so it might be a bit of a challenge for me. I guess the overall technology behind it is a whole lot more complicated than tech3 though.

Yeah I'm sure we can expect to see an ioDoom3 eventually :)

It's not C++ I'm worried about but, as you say, the complexity of the technology.
I haven't even ever looked at any 3d graphics engine. Not idTech 3, not idTech 2, not idTech 1, not even Wolfenstein 3D.

Just all the maths involved to do 3D calculations is stuff that scares me.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 01:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
C++ is just an extension of C anyway, so it can't be too difficult to adapt to if you already know C.

Oh, young grasshopper, how wrong you are. I've been programming in C++ for 15 years now and it still manages to spring surprises on me... C is much, much simpler!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
themuffinman wrote:
C++ is just an extension of C anyway, so it can't be too difficult to adapt to if you already know C.

Oh, young grasshopper, how wrong you are. I've been programming in C++ for 15 years now and it still manages to spring surprises on me... C is much, much simpler!

LOL I probably am wrong. I'm just implying that there's a lot of similarities between the two but C++ gives you a whole lot more control over the code etc. (apparently). I was going through some C++ tutorials and much of the syntax is the same as in C. Still I probably know about 0.0000000001% of what there is to know about programming in general... the amount of knowledge floating around Carmack's head must be incredible. :dork:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 04:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem with your comparison is that many programming languages share a lot of syntax with C. Look at 4GL's such as Java or C# or even something like JavaScript and you'll see that the basic syntax is pretty much the same as C.

The structural paradigms are completely different though. C++/Java/C# are object oriented programming languages, which means you'll take a quite different approach in structuring your code than when you're using C. Also, Java and C# have advanced garbage collection systems which means you don't have to manually manage memory allocation. There's also no hassling with pointers.

So while your basic if-then-else, for, while and return statements are using the same syntax and your operator and primitive datatypes are named the same, there can still be quite a difference between the languages.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah... C++ FTL for having 4000 different features to learn. In terms of the mathematics involved... it's not even just 3D mathematics, it's 4D SPACE-TIME! DUN DUN DUN!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-16-2011 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like the old Carmack Reverse patent thing is rearing it's ugly head again:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/11/16 ... de-release

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-22-2011 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Doom 3 Source has been released!

https://github.com/TTimo/doom3.gpl

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-22-2011 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Made a post in Announcements:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46703

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-24-2011 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thus far, an (at least) 1.5x performance improvement for shadow rendering...

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=45

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-24-2011 05:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

doh!

didn't see this so posted it in id Legends

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.