Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Pointers pissing me off

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Pointers pissing me off

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 05:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not much of a C programmer because my grasp of pointers is still flimsy at best.
So I have the following situation right now. In cgame, I have the following function:

Code:
qboolean CG_DrawSinglePlayerObjectives( void ) {
   int i;
   vec4_t color;
   playerscore_t *scores;

//q3w: there's a bunch of unrelated stuff here

//draw level score
   COM_CalculatePlayerScore( scores, cg.snap->ps.persistant, CG_GetAccuracy(), CG_GetSkill() );

//q3w: the bits below aren't really important right now
   i = strlen(va("%i", scores->totalScore));
   CG_DrawBigStringColor( 496 - (i * BIGCHAR_WIDTH), 343, va("%i", scores->totalScore), color);   

if ( ++cg.deferredPlayerLoading > 10 ) {
      CG_LoadDeferredPlayers();
   }

return qtrue;
}

The playerscore_t struct is defined in q_shared.h like this:

Code:
typedef struct playerscore_s {
   int carnageScore;
   int accuracy;
   int accuracyScore;
   int deaths;
   int deathsScore;
   int secretsFound;
   int secretsCount;
   int secretsScore;
   int subtotalScore;
   float skill;
   float skillModifier;
   int skillScore;
   int totalScore;
} playerscore_t;

In q_shared.c, the COM_CalculatePlayerScore function is defined. Right now, all it does is set the carnageScore variable in the struct to 0:

Code:
void COM_CalculatePlayerScore(playerscore_t *scores, int persistant[MAX_PERSISTANT], int accuracy, float skill) {
   scores->totalScore = 0;
}

So far so good, this appears to work well.
I also have another function which calls the COM_CalculatePlayerScore function:

Code:
void CG_DrawSinglePlayerIntermission( void ) {
   vec4_t color;
   playerscore_t *scores;

color[0] = 1;
   color[1] = 1;
   color[2] = 1;
   color[3] = 1;

COM_CalculatePlayerScore( scores, cg.snap->ps.persistant, CG_GetAccuracy(), CG_GetSkill() );
}

When the intermission screen is supposed to be shown, however, the game crashes.
I modified the COM_CalculatePlayerScore function slightly to see what was happening:

Code:
void COM_CalculatePlayerScore(playerscore_t *scores, int persistant[MAX_PERSISTANT], int accuracy, float skill) {
   if (score) {
      Com_Printf("Yes\n");
      scores->totalScore = 0;
   } else {
      Com_Printf("No\n");
   }
}

Now when displaying the objectives (the function that went right), it simply outputs a lot of "yes"-es in the console and it works well. However, when the intermission screen needs to be shown, it outputs a lot of "no"'s.
You may wonder why that color[0] = 1 etc is in there. Well, at one point I commented those out to have as little unrelated code in there as possible and that caused the game to go crashing again. I assume that "scores" inside the COM_CalculatePlayerScore was no longer NULL but also not a playerscore_t struct, but something else entirely (not sure what). I was pretty much dumbstruck to find that these seemingly unrelated lines of code could have such an impact.

So you see, I have no clue what I'm doing and it's starting to annoy me. Can any of you gurus point me in the right way?
Oh and one more thing, I tried to have my COM_CalculatePlayerScores return a playerscore_t struct as well as have it return a pointer to such a struct but I couldn't get either of those cases to work at all, so I figured passing a pointer argument to the method was the next best thing and that worked, until now.

This is what you get for coding in Java and C# too much :(

edit:
oh, I just commented out the stuff I had marked as "there's a bunch of unrelated stuff here" in the first function listed and now the game crashes when displaying the objectives as well :(

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Code:
void CG_DrawSinglePlayerIntermission( void ) {
   vec4_t color;
   playerscore_t *scores;

color[0] = 1;
   color[1] = 1;
   color[2] = 1;
   color[3] = 1;

}

You're passing an uninitialized scores pointer to COM_CalculatePlayerScore().

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-10-2011 12:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Should I use memset for that? I remember that crashing the whole thing as well, but I'll try again. But why does it work correctly in the other function then? I don't initialize it there either.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-10-2011 04:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa, I got it fixed.
I forgot to declare the COM_CalculatePlayerScore function in q_shared.h so I guess that messed it up. But when I realized this, I was halfway through rewriting the code so that COM_CalculatePlayerScore simply returns the struct (not a pointer to it) so that I don't have to pass a pointer to a struct to the method. I couldn't get the return-a-struct method working before but I guess that was due to the function not being declared in q_shared.h.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.