Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Hiding the bot difficulty on the scoreboard

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Hiding the bot difficulty on the scoreboard

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Greetings,

Apologies if this is the wrong place for a post like this, I assumed the programmers would have the best understanding of fixing this issue.

I am conducting some research to do with players being able to identify the difference between bots and players in multi-player games. Quake 3 has been an excellent environment for this so far, allowing me to change bot names, delays when joining servers, disabling chat etc.

However the subject issue has so far got me vexed. Upon observing the scoreboard when fragged, a player is able to observe an icon to the left of the bot's name denoting their difficulty, which is a dead giveaway. I was hoping to find the image/s that are used to represent the difficulty of a bot on the scoreboard and replacing them with a blank (i.e. transparent) image, but so far cannot find where they are stored in the pk3 files. Alternatively, modifying the code regarding the scoreboard to remove the displaying of bot difficulty would also be an option, but I am unsure of where to look in the source code.

Any help regarding the hiding/disabling of the bot difficulty and ping on the scoreboard of multiplayer Quake 3 games would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tinman.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 11:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think you're looking for the skill1.tga - skill5.tga files in the pak0.pk3 file. They are located in the menu/art folder inside the pk3.

You could create a new pak9.pk3, put that in the baseq3 folder and put fully transparent versions of the images in there. However, all players playing on your server need to have this pk3 file installed as well, or they will still be able to see the icons.

I'm not sure if you're going to do this in a controlled environment or just start up a server and have anybody connect to it, but if you're going for the latter option, you'll have no guarantee that it'll work.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-19-2011 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent!

I can't believe I missed those tgas -_-. I must have looked through that folder half a dozen times.

As for the environment, it will be controlled with up to 8 people in a computer lab all using the same modified version of Quake 3.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.