Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        SCons and building Radiant on Win7

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: SCons and building Radiant on Win7

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-11-2012 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm all for trying to figure stuff out on my own, but when it comes to this sort of thing I'm sorta lost and get frustrated really easily (I could never be a sysadmin).

I'm following this guide, and I have mingw/msys setup, python installed, and I've actually successfully completed the guide some time in the past and at one point had SCons working correctly. However, something must have happened during the last few months that has screwed up SCons configuration.

I cd to the GtkRadiant directory, run scons target=setup, and get the following error:

Code:
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
SCons 2.0.1
OS="'{' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."
Compiler version check failed - need gcc 3.x or later:
CC: gcc None
CXX: g++ None

Any ideas?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 01-11-2012 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd start with cleaning out everything (`git clean -dfx`, forgot what svn calls it) and do a rebuild

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-11-2012 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll do that... also worth noting: I'm trying to build the 1.5 branch

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-11-2012 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A clean checkout of the 1.5 branch gives me the same error.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-11-2012 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also:

In the SConscript file, the first lines are:

Code:
import os, sys, commands, string
from makeversion import get_version
# OS Detection:
OS = commands.getoutput('uname')

It seems to me that this is what is producing the error, but I'm not really familiar enough with this stuff to know why.

EDIT:

Okay, I got a little farther. Replacing commands.getoutput('uname') with platform.system() seems to have done the trick. Still receiving the error about CC/GCC but this seems to be a PATH problem.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-11-2012 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From what I've been reading around it seems like commands.<whatever> are unix-specific and therefore fudge up everything on Windows. I'll post a comprehensive solution if I come to one.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 01-11-2012 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Send the patch to the Radiant people once you're done, I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.