Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        quake3 browser plugin

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: quake3 browser plugin

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Long time no post :)

Last week I started work on a small project that I thought may interest some people here:
https://github.com/inolen/q3plugin

Basically, it's a plugin built on the firebreath framework that runs ioquake3 in the browser. Beyond just running the game in the browser, the plugin has some interesting opportunities for browser <-> game interaction. For example, there is the server browser which communicates from browser <-> plugin to list servers, and when you click on a server it actually forwards the connect command directly to the game process through a shim library.

The project is really rough, but I'd love to hear some feedback and see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about it. It started off as weekend experiment after wondering how QuakeLive worked, but it's been fun and I'd like to spend some more time on it if I could come up with some concrete goals.

P.S. Currently it's only been tested on Firefox/Chrome on Ubuntu 10.04, but this week I'll be working to port it to Windows.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-05-2012 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't have a suitable Linux box right now to test this, so waiting for Windows port. Sounds cool, though.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So can you give a layout of how it works? Do you configure the plugin to connect to a linux ioquake server , then when the browser hits the site and your browser loads the plugin it connects to your server?

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 11:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redonkuless wrote:
So can you give a layout of how it works? Do you configure the plugin to connect to a linux ioquake server , then when the browser hits the site and your browser loads the plugin it connects to your server?

I'll write a blog about it tonight :up:

The main thing to note (it was news to me) is that both NPAPI and ActiveX plugins can run native machine instructions with the same privileges as the host process, so once a plugin is installed and loaded up, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-14-2012 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally got a blog up outlining how this works: http://www.inolen.com/articles/48-hours ... er-plugin/

I managed to get the Windows build compiling last week but then got sidetracked. I'll get back to that soon.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-15-2012 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

very nice, keep me updated on your status, seems like a way cool project

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.